Lake Tahoe Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shark Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I will be heading to Reno in June and would like to dive Lake Tahoe. Anyone have any suggestions on where to dive?

I've only dove Tahoe once, but hope to go back soon. I went to Rubicon Point at Bliss State Park. It's an awesome wall dive with schools of fingerling trout and many larger ones. Easy beach entry, close parking and tons of fun.

Have fun,
John

Sand Cove (NW side) is shallow and easy...a good place for a first dive to check buoyancy and so on. Not a lot to see though.

Rubicon Point (and the wall) is a great dive. It's about a 300yd surface swim around the point to get to the wall, but it is worth it. It goes deeper than you want to go. If you swim toward the point, and find the phone cable and follow it...I recommend dropping on it (15-30 ft depth) and then a few minutes later right over the wall.

I also like the sailboat at Hurricane Bay. About 60 ft depth...but try to follow the bottom contour, because you can get into over 200 ft waters really fast!

The Sierra Dive Center website has dive site info.

Well thanks dsafanda. I wanted to dive Lake Tahoe. Ever since visiting when I was a kid, I always thought that would be a cool lake to dive. Even after that article, I could probably muster the courage.

I wonder if they would show up on a side-scan sonar image? Or would the thermoclines cause a problem...

My wife grew up in Reno and got certified in Lake Tahoe. She did her certification dives in Sand Harbor, it is one of the closer beach access areas to Reno, depending on what road you take. The dive shop that she was certified through is called Tropical Penguin Scuba, http://www.tropicalpenguinscuba.com/ they can direct you on places to go and get you tank rentals. Their new shop is pretty close tothe airport so you can stop by and rent a tank on your way to the lake.

Just a note about that article.

Everyone loves a good ghost story, but the bodies would have deteriorated by now. A body gets water logged and the skin just sloughs off as do the organs. The bones would then fall down into the sediment of the lake and be buried. This occurs even in cold water. In order for the body to be preserved it would actually have to be frozen solid. So, the idea of a floating grave yard is a myth. As for the story of bringing up a body part, it is possible if the body was fairly fresh.

Gotta love the urban legends:D

Lake Tahoe is a nice dive. There isn't a whole lot to see, but it is fun for a few dives. I definitely recommend the Rubicon Wall.

We dive Rubican quite a bit once Bliss opens up. It's a great dive especially on scooters. We also dive Sand Harbor a lot and it's also a nice dive. Just make sure you bring a dive flag if you are diving Sand Harbor or you will get a ticket. Another great dive is Stateline since it has a lot of great rock formations. the drawback to Stateline is it's quite a bit of a hike down to the water if you are diving anything more than a single or two. We've done it a couple of times, but had to carry doubles, scooters stage and deco gas and it is a real pain. A dolly or a friend works great for Stateline since they can help you carry the gear. :)

Have fun,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom