Whitter Sub?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have heard rumors of an old deisel sub wreck in the Whittier area. Is this a lot of bollox, or does such a thing exist? Furthermore, is it diveable? Does anyone have any info on where it might be, at what depth, and any other useful info about it? Thanks a bunch!

BTW-how is the vis out of Whittier these days, specifically at Smitty's Cove? And at what depth (often visibility improves at a certain depth...you all know how that goes). Are there any sites aside from Smitty's Cove that can be reached without a boat and that are worth checking out?

Another thing, neither my wife or myself are yet drysuit certified, but I have had decent enough luck diving with thick wetsuits and semi-drysuits if the water isn't too extraodrinarily frigid (I think the coldest I dove and still had a good time was about 45F). What is the water temp at the bottom of Smitty's this time of year?

I dive Whittier two years ago about this time, wet, in an old 7mmFJ I had.39F @60 feet. I about died! I now have a drysuit....Never heard of a sub wreck

Ive never heard of a sub wreck. I do know of a plane wreck, barge wreck, shipping connex (box), sunken crane, and Railroad tanker car in smittys cove though. Go to last Frontier Dive shop in Anchorage, and they can give you a map of the cove with bearings to all the wrecks. Ask Loic or John and they will help you out. Last time I dove there, (3 weeks ago) temp was 41 degrees F, and vis was about 10 feet. I have heard that vis has cleared more since then.

I forgot to mention. You can use a wet suit at smittys. The last couple times ive been down there, there were a couple people doing free diving in wet suits. So it is do-able.

asked someone who is pretty knowledgeable about these things. there is an unconfirmed sinking of a sub out of ketchikan, nothing in whittier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom