Dive report from salt point sonoma. 05-10-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gonphishing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dive report from salt point sonoma. 05-10-07
48 degrees
20+ vis
swell 3-5 feet
wind calm with some gusts
low incoming tide

Myself and a dive buddy dove stillwater yesterday.
We surfaced swam out of the cove and kicked out to the north a bit. Our deepest point was about 45 feet. I have dove here often and it is very exciting. Lots of structure, and this time of year the kelp has not grown back and it is easyer to kick out of the cove. The buoy report called for 6-7 swell and we found this to be exaggerated a bit . But then again salmon creek looked much rougher that salt point.

Conditions look good out here in Sonoma this weekend. Especially for sunday. As we are expecting a off shore flow with the wind, and this generally flattens things out. And the vis is 20+. North coast divers will be diving stillwater saturday. so come on out and meet some www.northcoastdivers.org

I love hearing about you guys diving this coastline. I grew up in Santa Rosa, and my parents owned a house at the Sea Ranch, so this is all familiar territory, and I had no idea at all that anybody ever dived in that water. Maybe some day I'll be able to make a trip "home" and see what it's like. In the meantime, I enjoy the posts.

Thank you. Ill be sure to post more often knowing your looking. And thanks for the Seattle diving tips. Gave me a lot to think about. Some of the best diving in california is right here in Sonoma. Sea Ranch is a nice place to dive!! Good beach access if you have access to them. Most of it is privet. But there is one public access spot.

I would think the entries and exits would be pretty challenging . . . I don't remember very many sand beaches. Surf and Northern California rocks would intimidate me!

You are welcome anytime TSandM!

The entrances aren't too bad. There are a couple of nice spots that are sandy beach entries like Stillwater and Ft. Ross. The terrain really varies quite a bit, but that adds nicely to the underwater realm as well.

We dive every month, no dues, no meetings, just show up and dive.

Hey Brian I hope you aren't suffering from any landbased narcosis, we dove Stillwater cove yesterday. The conditions were great today according to the dive line 707-847-3222.

See you all tomorrow I have three tanks that desperatly need to be emptied

Jim

jim. cant wait to help you empty those tanks. always a pleasure to dive with you..

TsandM
Yes, its a lot like diving up there. We watch the swell like you watch the tidal exchange. and yes a lot of rocks and cliffs here in Sonoma and Mendo. At Sea Ranch there are a few nice SMALL sandy beaches surrounded by rocks. not your typical beaches. there are also some rough boat launches out here that make diving easier in some regards. the coast line is so beautiful here by boat. some of us are getting into kayak diving. and a few others that have been doing it for a while. you will have to let us know if you plan a trip back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom