Diving my new neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron63

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A while back I bought a used Harvey's Aquacapsule drysuit off of a seller on ebay. Two weekends ago I had a chance to dive it for the first time at Blue Grotto down in Williston, FL. I have to admit my experience with drysuits is quite limited, only four dives in a drysuit before this one and they were all in a shell suit with under garments. First let me say that it was a great experience. I wasn't sure if I liked diving in a drysuit, but loved the neoprene suit. I did have a little leakage on the wrist that I do not wear my computer on, and I had a very small trickle at the neck seal. Nothing bad just enough to make a damp spot on the chest area of the suit. The drag was nowhere near as bad as on the shell suits I have tried and the squeeze did not seem as bad either. Now I am thinking about getting a new neoprene drysuit, one that fits me a little better. Would like to hear from some of you dedicated neoprene drysuit divers on what you like about your particular suit. Also I saw a suit on the Diver's Supply website for a Sea Elite neoprene suit. I liked the looks of the suit but know nothing about about Sea Elite. Anyone have any experience with their drysuits?

It depends on your budget really. Neoprene suits tend to be a bit more expensive than shell suits. I'd stick with a lighter weight suit like a 2MM or 3MM compressed/crushed neoprene. This would allow you to dive the suit in warmer temps as oppsed to a 5MM heavy suit which might be too hot for summer use.

I have a tri-lam suit and a 2.5MM compressed neoprene. The neoprene suit is more comfortable in and out of the water because you have a stretch factor. To get that in a shell suit you have to have it very baggy. I also have both neoprene and latex seals between the suits, and the neoprene ones seem more durable. I lobster with my suit and the latex seals take a beating. They are easier to repair however.

We have tri-lam suits by Pinnacle, and 2.5MM Neoprene by O'Three, who are in the UK. They are in the DUI category, a less expensive I think, but not by much. If you want more info on them let me know. They have made one full custom suit for us, and working on some modifications to another one. Great people.

J

Poseidon makes a couple models that you may want to check out, I'd recommend the Jetsuit because its made from 5mm semi-compressed neoprene as opposed to the Unisuit that's a full 7mm.
The Jetsuit has wear pads for the shoulder, knee, & weight belt areas. Kevlar on the boots.
The outer surface of the suit a sort of "diamond plate" design woven into it, very tough.
http://poseidon.se/

You should be able to find them on sale somewhere for under a grand.
They do full custom cutting or can modify arms, legs, boot size, etc.

The Diving Concepts "Neo Z" is a very nice off the rack suit at a lower than DUI price. I've had mine for almost 90 dives so far and it's been great. Front entry, self donning, accordian waist but it folds under and is pretty streamlined. Laytex seals.
Our LDS uses them for rentals and they put up with a lot of abuse. Their stretch undersuits are nice too. They're in the $1400-1500 range. Almost as sleek as in a wet suit.

Check out High Tide Dry Suits (http://www.hightidedrysuits.com), they are great. They are really popular here in the Puget Sound area. They are all custom made, and great. The SE model would be my choice (it is so soft and comfortable), if you want more warmth go with the Ti suit, and for durability go with the Pro. They are actually out of Port Orchard Washington and Eric is a great guy. He is a member here (hightidedrysuits). When I get the money it is going towards an SE suit from High Tide, but for now I am trying to still figure out what to dive with.

Sly

Jim, I am actually thinking of getting the Neo Z, I am glad to hear you like it. I am a little worried about the boot size because I have little feet (9) but yet I am pretty tall (6'2"), so I think I might have to get custom boots put on, but I think that is only another $115 from what I can find. I am also considering the DUI CNSE, but again I would need to get the select model which is a little more money. So with the upgrades they end up being about the same price ($1200), this makes my decision a little harder.

Sly

I dive a 7mm Atlan drysuit below 50F and it's serves me well.

For being warm in cold water making shallow dives at a budget price it's hard to beat.

As long at the depth is not enough for severe compression no suit will give you as much warmth by it's self. At 50F and above a wicking layer (no other garment) is all I need. With a BARE T-100 I'm good down into the 30sF. The amount of weight required to sink the combination with me in it is more than I really like but in the water it's a non issue. A DUI weight & trim II keeps the weight secure and lets me hang it low enough to not want ankle weights.

If you go deep you get the double whammy of loosing thermal protection and buoyancy in the rubber so if deep dives are your prome objective there are other more stable options in shell/compressed neoprene suits. Neoprene seals can also become unstable as they compress depending on your fit.

New suits from the likes of Atlan and Oneil can be had for $500 or a little more so the price is right.

As puffy as it seems on the surface it packs down nice and close in the water. I have seen divers with closer cuts but they need to skimp on the undergarments and end the dives for being cold. Liike anything else it all needs to work as a system.

Pete

If you're going to pop for another drysuit and stay south of the Mason-Dixon line, you might to get a shell suit.
Gearing up in a neoprene drysuit in the southern sun can get a little hot. On a serious dive, you could easily overlook something in the rush to cool off. I have seen it happen with fatal results.
The suit is going to last you as long as a good truck, so buy it once.

jduncan:
It depends on your budget really. Neoprene suits tend to be a bit more expensive than shell suits. I'd stick with a lighter weight suit like a 2MM or 3MM compressed/crushed neoprene. This would allow you to dive the suit in warmer temps as oppsed to a 5MM heavy suit which might be too hot for summer use.

I have a tri-lam suit and a 2.5MM compressed neoprene. The neoprene suit is more comfortable in and out of the water because you have a stretch factor. To get that in a shell suit you have to have it very baggy. I also have both neoprene and latex seals between the suits, and the neoprene ones seem more durable. I lobster with my suit and the latex seals take a beating. They are easier to repair however.

We have tri-lam suits by Pinnacle, and 2.5MM Neoprene by O'Three, who are in the UK. They are in the DUI category, a less expensive I think, but not by much. If you want more info on them let me know. They have made one full custom suit for us, and working on some modifications to another one. Great people.

J

From what I've seen, neoprene (as distinct from compressed/crushed neoprene) drysuits tend to be LESS expensive than membrane suits, not more...

Back
Top Bottom