Has anyone here witnessed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not uncommon at all. The best place I've found to find and watch hunting groups of several species is in amongst the coral patches in the shallows right in front of Buddy Dive/Lion's Dive on Bonaire. The last group I watched had a Jack, a Trumpetfish, a Yellow Snapper and a Hind (and it seems I remember a goatfish in the group too) following a Spotted Moray from coral patch to coral patch. Absolutely fascinating to watch - and as they were hunting in only about ten feet of water, I could just snorkel on the surface and watch the show.
Snorkelling there for an hour will almost guarantee at least one communal hunting group to watch.
Rick

I've also seen jacks hanging out close to rays, particularly the big southern stingrays. My guess is that they eat the little critters that get stirred up from the bottom when the rays move.

Tom

I HAVE seen big jacks try to EAT spotted moray's, but no real symbiotic behavior. It's rare to see a goldentail moray venture out of it's hole.

b) groupers and goldentail morays?

I usually see spotted morays & small groupers in Bonaire displaying this type of behaviour. Also I have seen trumpet fish & hogfish or small groupers doing the same thing.

~SubMariner~

Hi, Gang!

One of the most common examples of the kind of symbiosis that you are discussing happens with goatfish and bird wrasses.

Goatfish have these clever little barbels that allow them to detect prey buried in the sand. Once the goatfish detects a treat, it digs in the sand, but sometimes misses the mark. If a wrasse is following along, it will frequently be the beneficiary of the "miss".

Conversely, the bird wrasse has its long beak-like mouth that allows it to explore crevices and holes. When it misses its prey, the following goatfish is there to scoop it up.

In the Hawaiin Is. I have frequently seen such pairs and watched them long enough to see them change positions. Thus, part of the time the wrasse leads and part of the time the goatfish leads. It is a kick to see.

Scorpionfish

With Spotted Goatfish and Yellowhead Wrasse, Slippery Dicks and some of the other wrasses. The wrasse also love it when you turn over the rubble on the bottom, you've made a friend! I never thought much about doing it until one dashed in and ate a baby Brittle Star about 1/4" across. I felt like an accessory to murder!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom