X-Scooter question (batteries)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm curious... what's the difference, performance wise, between the Ni-Mh and the LiIon batteries?

bdshort:
I'm curious... what's the difference, performance wise, between the Ni-Mh and the LiIon batteries?

The original NiMh batteries were nominally 13 amp hour at 24 volts. he current NiMh batteries are rated at 15 amphour at 24 volts.

The Li-Ion battery is 30 amphour at 28.8 volts.

This yeilds about 2x the run times you might get with the 15 amphour NiMh.

Tobin

Thanks! Now to just save up the $3600... :wink:

bdshort:
Yeah but I don't have an X either!

Details, details......:wink:

I have very much enjoyed my X scooter. Lightweight, reliable, easy to operate. Much less expensive than a boat, but has the capacity to extend the areas you can each from a shore entry. Big fun.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Details, details......:wink:

I have very much enjoyed my X scooter. Lightweight, reliable, easy to operate. Much less expensive than a boat, but has the capacity to extend the areas you can each from a shore entry. Big fun.

Tobin

Indeed. Me too.

The main differences between the LIon battery (AG pronounces this word with a thick South African accent as BAT-TREE) and the NiMH are (1) the cost and (2) the burn time.

I am getting about 45+ minutes of burn time with my NiMH's (I have 2). These cost about $400 each, and one comes with the standard package deal.

The LIon battery advertises about 90+ minutes of burn time, and costs about $1,400 each.

Thus, financially, it makes more sense for beach diving to buy 2 NiMH batteries than one LIon battery, since for the same price of a LIon battery you could buy 3 and 1/2 NiMH batteries.

However, for boat diving, the LIons are worth the extra $1,000 each simply because you don't need to switch batteries between dives on a boat with a LIon.

Back
Top Bottom