Econfina Creek 3 springs re-con

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Gulf-Gulper, his family, some friends, and I set out this morning to canoe part of Econfina Creek (just North of Panama City). The day started clear and bright - just like many before it that have put us in a drought. We found our launch spot at the canoe livery ($5.00 per canoe launch fee). We headed upstream to see what things were like and almost immediately had to get out and push the canoe over some logs. We went just a little further and encountered some more trees down across the creek. The water was just a couple feet deep in most spots so we turned back downstream toward, what we hoped was, some easier paddling. The creek was still very low but we managed to only get slightly hung on a couple submerged logs. Along the trip South, we soon saw a small, clear, blue run on the West side of the creek. It was very shallow at first - we walked the canoe 30' to a fork in the run.

512ew1.jpg

To the right was Williford spring and to the left the run ran back into the creek. We proceeded up to Williford, a nice swimming hole. It was a fun snorkel but no need for SCUBA unless you're a caver (I don't know how far you can go under the ledge).

512ew2.jpg

512ew3.jpg

512ew4.jpg

We swam quite a while at Williford and headed down the other leg of the spring run back to the creek. Here are some pictures of the terrain and plants along the creek. There are limestone bluffs and some wild Palm trees along with the usual logs in the water.

512ev1.jpg

512ev2.jpg

512ev3.jpg

512ev4.jpg

As we came nearer Hwy 20, we spotted another blue run on the West side. We followed it up to Sylvan spring. The water boiled on the surface of a very small hole in the ground. We were only ankle to shin deep in water as we walked around the boil. There is a small crack behind the boil that water flows from but not at any great force. The spring was very pretty even though small.

512es1.jpg

While at Sylvan, we heard thunder and the skies darkened. We decided to move on to our lunch spot, Pitt spring, where we had left a vehicle loaded with food for our arrival. The spring is not big but usually has swimmers in it. Today it was closed to swimming due to low water levels.

512ep1.jpg

512ep2.jpg

512ep3.jpg

512ep4.jpg

512ep5.jpg

Pitt spring is close to HWY 20, the take out point for our canoes. We had intended to canoe past the HWY and visit Gainer spring but the lightening and thunder wouldn't quit. We ended up getting all the vehicles together at the take-out point and two brave souls floated the six boats from Pitt to the take-out. It was a fun day but I wanted to see Gainer, it had the most potential (from what I read) to be dive-able. I guess I'll just have to take another day off to re-con the creek below HWY 20 :D.

Here's a 5 minute remix with people in some shots.

Thanks for the report SeaYoda, I'm definately gonna have to give that little trip a go one of these days. I had hoped to do a bit of spring exploration this weekend as well, but ran out of light on Saturday and out of time today :( Next time, hopefully...

SeaYoda:
WONDERFUL PICTURES !!!
Thanks so much...

Hey , looks kinda cave-ish in those 1st set of pictures...
I don't have my sidemount rig quite ready yet so .
Have to wait on that one.

Jeano Beano

Thanks for the report, Ive wondered whats down there. I freedove into Williford once, and dont think it went far, but did want to scuba it sometime.

I did Morrison on saturday and Troy on Sunday. Both looked good, but im over Morrison I think. Too packed and shallow in the OW. Seems like there are too many divers and/or not enough dive spots these days.

Get there early, less divers, less surface dwellers, I was reaffirmed that this weekend after getting there at 2:30PM compared to last weekends arrival at 7AM. :wink:

Actually, you always have classes in tow, get there late, very late! :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
Get there early, less divers, less surface dwellers, I was reaffirmed that this weekend after getting there at 2:30PM compared to last weekends arrival at 7AM. :wink:

Actually, you always have classes in tow, get there late, very late! :D
Hmm, maybe thats a good idea. Somehow limit classes to afternoon arrivals, let the sport divers come in the morning. Again, I simply think there are too many divers, not enough springs. Maybe once they open JB, and find a couple more to open, we could balance out the load. Cypress would be nice to open again. Maybe I just need to stop creating more divers. :)

I heard Vortex wasn't very busy this weekend, actually. I also heard they quit giving away the free airfill that you used to get with the SCUBA fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom