What gear should I purchase next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_NJ

Reaction score
So far my diving experience has been limited to being a "Vacation Diver". I have all of the gear that I would need to dive in these conditions, and made sure that the gear that I purchased was suitable for cold water so I could use it near my home. I'm starting to get into the local diving near me (North East USA - NJ). The only things apart from accessories that I have yet to purchase are a suitable exposure suit and a good set of tanks with a decent pony bottle probably a 30cf pony.

My question is which would make the most sense to purchase next, a dry suit or a good set of tanks, with pony and mounting brackets? I'm by no means a small guy so i'm leaning towards the dry suit since it's harder for me to get one with a good fit when renting, and it's relatively easy to rent tanks. What do some of you more experienced folks think? Any reasons to buy a set of tanks first? I'm thinking that the cost would be somewhat similar although the dry suit could cost alot more, but 2 tanks, a pony, brackets, and a regulator for the pony would still add up to a significant purchase if bought new.

Thanks,

Matt

Congratulations on choosing to become an active local diver. That's the key to building your skills. It's also great to be able to get in the water at the drop of the hat. Modern exposure protection is awesome stuff.

I'd say the drysuit without a doubt. My standard answer is to buy first whatever is hard for you to rent, you have come to the same decision. The suit, cold water gloves and head wear will be the most expensive by far unless you strike gold on some used stuff.

If you feel the need to dive with a pony bottle or plan to use dive ops that require one then that would be second.

Renting cylinders is not too hard to swallow so it can wait. Having cylinders is a great tool for making you able to dive on the spur of the moment. It's also the key to getting past AL80s in most cases.

Pete

spectrum:
If you feel the need to dive with a pony bottle or plan to use dive ops that require one then that would be second.

Renting cylinders is not too hard to swallow so it can wait. Having cylinders is a great tool for making you able to dive on the spur of the moment. It's also the key to getting past AL80s in most cases.

Pete

Every local diver i've spoken with here dives with a pony and most boats/shops require them from what i'm told. It's pretty deep usually and heck, better safe than sorry! While i'm certainly not there yet I would rather not be fully dependant on a buddy.

What do you mean by geting past AL80's? I know there are ongoing discussions about the differences of steel vs. AL and different sizes/styles of tanks and how much gas they hold etc etc. however I have only ever been diving with AL80's that I recall.

Matt_NJ:
So far my diving experience has been limited to being a "Vacation Diver". I have all of the gear that I would need to dive in these conditions, and made sure that the gear that I purchased was suitable for cold water so I could use it near my home. I'm starting to get into the local diving near me (North East USA - NJ). The only things apart from accessories that I have yet to purchase are a suitable exposure suit and a good set of tanks with a decent pony bottle probably a 30cf pony.

My question is which would make the most sense to purchase next, a dry suit or a good set of tanks, with pony and mounting brackets? I'm by no means a small guy so i'm leaning towards the dry suit since it's harder for me to get one with a good fit when renting, and it's relatively easy to rent tanks. What do some of you more experienced folks think? Any reasons to buy a set of tanks first? I'm thinking that the cost would be somewhat similar although the dry suit could cost alot more, but 2 tanks, a pony, brackets, and a regulator for the pony would still add up to a significant purchase if bought new.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

I vote for the drysuit. Nothing affects so many aspects of your diving as your exposure protection. Tanks are easy to rent.

If redundant air is a priority you should consider doubles and not pony bottles. Not much difference in cost, or cost of maintainance, much more effective solution.

Good luck,

Tobin

Off shore wreck diving is common down your way and a redundant air supply is a common requirement.. With 0-24 warm water dives I suggest honing your cold water skills with frequent shore dives and then go from there. Getting started with one of those locals is a good idea. Plan for several easy dives while you learn to fumble with gloves and to function in a heavy hood. A 30 CF pony may be overkill for those dives but if diving that configuration is your goal that's the place to get to know the gear.

As a cold water diver there are some big weight advantages to diving steel. Here is an example.

Since you mention that you are "by no means a small guy" you air consumption is apt to be higher meaning that you may want to dive a bigger cylinder or even doubles at some point. Owning steel cylinders open many possibilities.

Pete

Another vote for the dry suit. Suits HAVE to fit, or they don't work right and they don't keep you warm (a mis-sized neck seal almost put me in the hospital during my first open water dives). Tanks can be rented, and it's not that expensive.

another vote for a drysuit... you can have all the toys in the world but if youre not comfy and enjoying your diving you end up finding reasons to do other things instead

be nice and warm and you want to go diving..... you can always pick up tanks later on

cheers

Matt_NJ:
I'm starting to get into the local diving near me (North East USA - NJ). The only things apart from accessories that I have yet to purchase are a suitable exposure suit and a good set of tanks with a decent pony bottle probably a 30cf pony. My question is which would make the most sense to purchase next, a dry suit or a good set of tanks, with pony and mounting brackets?
You appear to have consensus in the response and I can only add my vote for the DS, and my encouragement for your plans to locally extend your diving The best gear purchase I have ever made has been my DS. Yes, I love my regs, mask, fins, etc. But getting a custom fit DS was far and away the best single purchase. Get a good one, get one that fits YOU (even if a little more expensive) and you will not look back. It extends your diving options immensely. I have reached the point where I won’t dive wet if the water temp is less than 73. Why bother when I have my DS readily available?

The pony issue is interesting. In a long-running thread about ‘most regretted gear purchases’, a commonly cited item was Spare Airs, or small pony bottles. A 30 is not a small bottle, so good for you to be thinking about that! However, your reference to brackets suggests you are thinking of mounting the 30 to your back tank (if I am wrong, ignore the rest). I would suggest at least considering simply slinging the bottle under your arm. And, as you are thinking about a 30 cf, I would suggest you at least give some thought to a 40cf. Either a 30 or 40 is a good pony, but the 40 may have slight advantages.

Matt_NJ:
What do you mean by geting past AL80's? I know there are ongoing discussions about the differences of steel vs. AL and different sizes/styles of tanks and how much gas they hold etc etc.
Those who become more ‘immersed’ in diving (pardon the pun) often find they want a little more gas on their back, for example for deeper (>100 ft) wreck dives, than the AL80 usually provides. Not implying that you would stretch or ignore no deco limits by having a bigger tank, only that having a bigger (>80 cf) tank allows you more flexibility to extend bottom time within NDLs, plus provides a little more of a safety margin in the event of a buddy OOA, etc (even with a pony). The AL80 is the most commonly available tank, but also ranks higher on the ‘most regretted purchases’ list. Another advantage of a (larger) steel tank is weight. Using a steel 120 allows me to remove some weight from my waist that I would otherwise carry with AL80. This is VERY useful in diving a DS – I would rather have it on my back than on my waist.

Colliam7:
The pony issue is interesting. In a long-running thread about ‘most regretted gear purchases’, a commonly cited item was Spare Airs, or small pony bottles.

I had actually looked at those to take on vacation. I wrote to the instructor who certified me for his opinion and he said "You might as well take a 3 liter soda bottle and blow some air into it at depth. It would be cheaper and just as effective". Suffice it to say I decided against that!

Colliam7:
I would suggest at least considering simply slinging the bottle under your arm.

I never really thought of that. I've heard people talk about "Sling Bottles" is that what they are referring to? Whats the advantage/disadvantage to doing that and how do you do it? At first thought it would seem to me to get in the way, but perhaps not if there was a way to securely hold it in place...

Colliam7:
Those who become more ‘immersed’ in diving (pardon the pun) often find they want a little more gas on their back, for example for deeper (>100 ft) wreck dives, than the AL80 usually provides. Not implying that you would stretch or ignore no deco limits by having a bigger tank, only that having a bigger (>80 cf) tank allows you more flexibility to extend bottom time within NDLs, plus provides a little more of a safety margin in the event of a buddy OOA, etc (even with a pony). The AL80 is the most commonly available tank, but also ranks higher on the ‘most regretted purchases’ list. Another advantage of a (larger) steel tank is weight. Using a steel 120 allows me to remove some weight from my waist that I would otherwise carry with AL80. This is VERY useful in diving a DS – I would rather have it on my back than on my waist.

When i've rented tanks in the past i've never been asked what size/style tank I want to rent. Do most LDS's allow you to rent different size or style to try things out and determine what you like? I figured the AL80 only because that's what i've used and know so i'm most comfortable with it, but that's not to say I wouldnt love a steel 120, i've just never tried it!

I agree with Colliam7. I only had about five ocean dives in Jersey last year. One of which, I had to wear a pony bottle strapped on my back. It threw off my trim and balance. Won't do that again!

I opted for a stage bottle as well, (al40). Nice thing about them, is that you can carry them or drop them at the tie in. Also, if someone has an emergency, you can hand it off to them.

I dove last year wet. 4th of July we hit the Pinta and Travis Tug. The Pinta at 85' was 45 degrees. I got about 45 min. dive in. SI wasn't bad because it was warm. I did my first DS dive on Sat. I have a custom CF200. I had very little problems with it, possibly because I took the advice of a lot of guys in our club, instructors and read alot. Biggest factor I think was the custom suit. So, I didn't have a lot of extra air space.

It was 42 degrees at Dutch Springs and I had UA and 150 gr. fleece. It was cold but not unbearable. It gave me a chance to actually get familiar with the suit characteristics without having the extra loft to deal with. HOWEVER, I will be getting some heavier undies though....:D

I dive single HP120's. With my SAC rate it is great for most Jersey dives, as I'm still diving rec limits. Also, schlepping a set of doubles up the ladder, isn't high on my list of things I love to do.

Stop over to our club site and check it out. Mostly wreck divers, but not all. www.wreckvalley.com/forum

Look forward to diving with you sometime!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom