drysuit cuff dumps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey

Question to all the ds wearers who use a cuff dump- what valve do you use?

I have a POS 'flappy', non-adjustable, very small, doesnt vent nearly fast enough valve on the left cuff.

I want to replace it with a low profile auto apeks or si-tech, but i dont recall ever seeing anyone with this kind of valve in this position. Anyone dive that particular set-up?

My valve is whoefully inadequate and is, to be honest, a hazard. My AOW weekend was a nightmare and i need advice. I dont like the shoulder dumps- i like being able to see the bubbles for reassurance...

cheers

additionally- where do you get them from in the US? i cant find any online!!!

np251:
Hey

Question to all the ds wearers who use a cuff dump- what valve do you use?

I have a POS 'flappy', non-adjustable, very small, doesnt vent nearly fast enough valve on the left cuff.
I have one on my DUI and one on my DC suit. I put a Viking valve on another suit.

They are all the same non-adjustable, very small valves.

They dump faster than gas can be added via the drysuit inflator hose and I wouldn't want one of those big drysuit valves on my wrist. (I did see an old DC suit that did exactly that)

JeffG:
They dump faster than gas can be added via the drysuit inflator hose and I wouldn't want one of those big drysuit valves on my wrist. (I did see an old DC suit that did exactly that)

yeah, that was my thought. They look a bit too bulky to be on the wrist. But the small one i have there doesnt vent faster than i can add- and it was open to the point that one of the DM's had some search and recovery practice on a 2 inch black plastic disc in Monterey. Only took him 10 minutes, quite impressive...

The low profile si-tech wouldnt be much bigger than my compass in terms of height- and i use that on the right arm anyway, so i would have space on the left...

cheers for your reply

I have a Si-Tech on my left wrist, it's pretty big, but I don't notice it when I'm diving. It's has never jammed open or closed and has always vented the suit correctly.

np251:
yeah, that was my thought. They look a bit too bulky to be on the wrist. But the small one i have there doesnt vent faster than i can add- and it was open to the point that one of the DM's had some search and recovery practice on a 2 inch black plastic disc in Monterey. Only took him 10 minutes, quite impressive...
Quite honestly. What you describe only makes sense if the valve was a) defective or b) your drysuit undies material blocked the valve.

I have seen these valves stick before (on another diver, never on myself). We were never 100% sure why, because it would work one dive but not on the next.

But before you go swaping valves around I would figure out which reason caused the problem. Because if it because your undies jammed the valve, that will happen again regardless of the style.

To test for a defective valve, just see how much effort it takes to crack the valve. You can do that by placing your mouth over the valve and sucking.

Cheers Falco- at least i wont be the only one...

JeffG- Cheers for the input. I had a compression bandage on my left wrist, over the undersuit. You could clearly feel the void under the drysuit arm where there was no undersuit (compared to the right arm) and the sucking test (applied by my instructor- i thought that was one of his innovations!) was ok. He didnt feel any resistance with cracking pressure. He did comment that the only time he had seen one that small was on a coast guard rescue swimmer drysuit- the valve itself is only about an inch and a half across- it could be that it is abnormally small for a real drysuit and it was intended for surface only.

Cheers for the replies

Just so i know- how much extra weight do you carry to offset the air you put in to provide warmth? i put on an extra couple of pounds, but it might not be enough- i was still kinda squeezed, and i didnt want to add more because of the valve. Is 5 too much? or is it a variable factor depending on conditions?

thanks again

np251:
He did comment that the only time he had seen one that small was on a coast guard rescue swimmer drysuit- the valve itself is only about an inch and a half across- it could be that it is abnormally small for a real drysuit and it was intended for surface only.
Same one's I have. Same one's supplied by DC and DUI if you ask for a cuff dump.

But hey..going to the other style won't kill ya.

I have 25 or so in the DS, including pool dives. 18-20 or so in the ocean. Prior to losing the weight and switching undies, i was always able to keep the ascents slow and controlled. This weekend made me look like a total newb and to be honest i was kinda concerned for my safety.

Ill take it all back to the pool and re-do the weight check, add a bit more to compensate for extra loft and test out the valve. See if it can dump faster than the inflate and see how it handles the 10 foot ascents with the new undies...

Sounds like you might just want to hit the pool to see if it's the valve or something you're doing wrong. I remember my first 20 dives in a DS weren't the prettiest of sights, so it really could just be an experience thing. See what you think after a few hours in the pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom