Cold water and the Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobcatdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to check on the recommended water temps for diving with the Maximus. I live in Ohio and we have had several diving accidents this Spring in one of the local quarry. So I just thought that I would check to see what the recommended lowest temp was to dive with the Maximus.

Thanks for your help.

P.S I have been diving with the Maximus and the AVID BCD for the last year and LOVE them. I just purchased a new 3mm Akona wetsuit on Sat. I hope I like it as well.

According to the Maximus owners manual the reg has passed CE test form 50F to operating at 39.2 F. The Maximus is an excellent ice diving reg.

Did you get the new Quantum Stretch suit ?

What about the "older" ones. We have some at the university that we bought several years ago (we were originally concerned they were part of the 2002 recall but they were too old). We've never had any problems with them but after the recent deaths here (mentioned by the OP) I've been instructed not to take them below 70 feet in the cold as a precautionary measure.
Ber :lilbunny:

Which is better at colder temp? The maximus or the blizzard. I see that they donated the regs to use in the link you posted, and they were the maximus. Why would you prefer one over the other at the extreme cold temp?

fisherdvm:
Which is better at colder temp? The maximus or the blizzard. I see that they donated the regs to use in the link you posted, and they were the maximus. Why would you prefer one over the other at the extreme cold temp?

I believe it comes down to preference.

1st stages are identical as are all but the Brut

I do not believe any of the Maximus features over the Blizzard are cold specific. Some may say that the breathing controls are welcome in higher stress conditions but that could be true of may situations.

My instructor/dealer swayed me down to the Blizzard on the belief that simplicity improves reliability.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom