Destin Jetties/Sailboat, Morrison, St Andrews Jetties and Cypress 5-12&13 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
5-12-7: Part One

Destin Jetties

80% of the time I make dive plans, it seems like I'm late. Not by much, usually just 5-10 minutes, but it just seems that I can't get it right regardless of proper planning and time scheduling. I was up early Saturday morning and out the door by 7AM, plenty enough time to make a meet time of 9AM at the parking lot to dive the Destin Jetties. Around the AL/FL line, I run across alcrmsntde on the side of the road, broke down. I pull over and luckily its just a flat and he's in already getting his little truck jacked up. Its a one man job, so I'm no use, but I BS with him for a couple of minutes(enough to make my standard late time). He's good, heading for Vortex to DM an OW class. I wish him luck and call GLENFWB to let him know I'm running late. Traffic was light and I made it to the parking lot only 10 minutes after 9AM. Its been hot lately and the water is warming up, around 73-74F, so I go without a wetsuit making my gearup time considerably shorter. Glen is at the water with his family waiting for me. We're diving a neap high tide, so not expecting tremendous amount of visibility, nor current. We enjoyed blue skies and a sun rising quickly above us. The pass and Gulf look like a lake. There is already quite a bit of traffic on the water, but not much on the beach just yet.

Visibility ended up being 20-25' I'd guess and current was constant, but slight and very managable. We didn't get the incredibly random currents that the jetties have thrown us on our last several visits. There were fish everywhere, tons of them, a decent variety as well. Tropicals are showing up, damsels and butterflyfish, razorfish, doctorfish, ect. Toadfish are getting bigger, and so are the stonecrab. Pigfish and pinfish everywhere and bluefish and bluerunners school midwater, litterally hundreds of them in a variety of sizes. There were several grouper and even an vermillion snapper on the backside of the jetties. We had alot to look at in any direction. We made the typical dive, following the rocks down and back up the other side, turnaround and round the point again making our way back to our original entry point and simply wasting time/air near our entry. Glen took some pictures, surely he'll post them. I hit 56' for a dive lasting 55 minutes.

Okaloosa Island Unidentified Sailboat

We hit ScubaTech for a fill and then drove just West of Destin to Okaloosa Island to dive a sailboat on the bayside of the Gulf Island Nat'nl Seashore Park. I've been wanting to check this little boat out for quite some time. Its located just off the beach(bayside), just outside of the dropoff from knee-deep, to overhead. The mast is poking a good 15' out of the water. I figured it'd be worth a look, once...

1:10 after getting out the water in Destin, we were wet again, this time in the Bay. Visibility on the surface wasn't bad, but you hit a thermocline/halocline around 15' or that brings the temp down as well as visibility. It was a very noticable change, visually, and by feel - the colder layer looked like another lake, already below the surface. The sailboat ended up being alot of fun. Its entire 20-25' of length was completely covered in seasquirts, barnacles, and even some oysters, so we weren't able to read a name off it anywhere. I'm pretty sure this boat is a victim of Ivan, so its had 2 years + to grow its own ecosystem, and its down well. Holds alot of juvenille fish as well, mostly mangroves and pinfish. We came across some filefish, spadefish, and even some really big sheepshead. There were also some bluecrab humping towards the back of the boat. The cabin area was empty and silty. It was a fun little dive and I'm likely to kill the back remenants off a tank off on it again - not worth a full tank by any means. I hit a max depth of 19' for 20 whole minutes!

Morrison Springs

Dive debriefing was quick at Chick-Fillet and we were on our way to Morrison to meet up with cmufieldhockey8. Morrison was crowded, as crowded as I've seen it this year. Lots of classes and lots of people ljust looking to enjoy a clean, clear waterhole. MBT has a class out there and we talk with them for a bit. This is the biggest reason I like arriving here early, however today I'm doing lots of dives and Morrison wasn't first on the list. The water looks clear and we can see the platform from the surface, but we know the bottom will likely be kicked up from the traffic. We gear up and hit the water a bit over 3 hours after exitting the sailboat dive. cmufieldhockey and GLENFWB practice an airshare on the platform then we head into the lower cavern to blow off the first third of our tanks. The water is its normal 68F and the normal cave inhabitants are all accounted for... eels, catfish, rockbass, ect. We tool around as long as our third allows and then head for open water where we goof around a bit near the log before swimming around the outskirts of the basin and a bit up the run. Visibility is 20-30', due to the traffic. There are panfish, bass, and a couple turtles to watch and hogchoakers to harrass. I hit a max depth of 91' in the cavern for a dive lasting 56 minutes.

Our SI is long and we're hoping more an more people will call it a day and move onto something different. It works, for the most part. Jviehe is onsite with a class, as always. He's leaving as we're getting in the water for our second dive. Our second dive was alot less crowded, by about half, and visibility cleared to 40-60'. We were in the water again a bit over an hour after our first dive, while following the same dive plan. The dive was similar to the previous one, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I hit a max depth of 89' for 43 minutes. Glen headed home for some home cooked spagetti and meatballs and cmufieldhockey and I headed to Sally's for some country cooking.

We had hopes of checking out Hightower Springs on the way out, but had run out of light. No idea of its potential for diving.

We hit up Vortex for some airfills. It took us maybe 20 minutes to get 4 tanks filled and leave. Despite the short amount of time, cmufieldhockey and I were still treated to some redneck entertainment in the form of a couple of drunks cussing and screaming at everyone they passed. Connie was on Danny's radio getting him to get a description and tag so they could be banned from Vortex. They cussed us on the way towards the exit, stopping the van, seemingly going to get out and confront us, but I guess they realized they weren't up for much walking and left. Connie got back to the diveshop with a great big cattleprod in hand - ready for some action! Don't mess with this woman.

5-13-7: Part Two

St. Andrews Jetties

Up early and off for some breakfast at Coram's, cmufieldhockey, darcy, brian, and I ate quickly and headed to Dive Locker in hopes that they would be someone at the store early so we could get a fill. No luck, but I had a couple spare tanks for darcy and we'd just get some fills on the way out for our later diving. We got to St. Andrews Park around 7:30 and got in line, they don't open till 8AM. I see alcrmsntde in line as well, I go check out the new tires he's put on his truck - LOL. The line consists mostly of divers, mostly in classes. We get onsite and the classes start to organize and get geared up, discussing dive plans, skills to be worked, ect. Brian is taking his OW class, leaving darcy, cmufieldhockey, and I to make a dive team. Our 3 person group is the first in the water and we follow darcy's lead as she used to be local, the jetties were her backyard for quite sometime. Through the kitty pool and over the rocks, we hit the bottom and head north against the current, which is slight due to neap tide conditions. Its amazing the amount of sponges and softcoral along the St. Andrews Jetties, quite a variety of life as well. Mangrove snapper, scad, porgy, and juvy grouper(couple nearly legal ones as well) could be observed. More interestingly, we saw no less than a dozen hogfish(nothing big, but still!). There were also an assortment of tropicals, damsels, blue angels, ect. Seacucumbers, nudis, arrowcrabs, urchins were all present as well. I had dived the site previously without much to see, I can honestly say that this was one of the best dives on any jetty location I've had to date. SO much to look at. We headed north from entry until it got shallow, returned to our entry point(atleast the bottom adjascent to it) and repeated until our gas started to trickle down. We wasted quite a bit of time in the shallows until I hit 500psi - arg, I was the limiting factor! Temp on the bottom was 68F, much cooler than the Destin Jetties and I wore a 1/2mm - holy chilly inadequate suit batman! Nearer the surface brought temps to the mid-70sF, so very comfortable. I hit a max depth of 67' for a dive lasting 66 minutes.

Cypress Springs

I would have liked to have done another dive onsite, but we had plans to dive Cypress and time was running low. I leant darcy another tank so she could do another dive with Brian's class and cmufieldhockey headed to DiveLocker for a fill before meeting up with Amadus98 at Culpepper Landing to hit up Cypress. We were about an hour late, damnit, but were forgiven. Just so everyone knows, jetski's are apparently not allowed in Holmes Creek. Amadus98 had brought his out with the intention of getting to Cypress with it, but there is a sign onsite saying they are prohibitted and locals with scary stories of large fines that make this a questionable idea. I had originally thought darcy would be diving Cypress with us, but she decided to stick with the OW class so Amadus was able to ride in the dive yacht, Miss Jellyfish. We set her up and loaded her down and made the short trip up the creek and down the run. We ended up walking about an 1/8th mile dragging the boat due to the ubershallow water levels.

Cypress was crowded up top with locals enjoying the water, but no other divers onsite - per normal. We geared up and walked in just over 3 hours after getting out the water in PCB. Most of the outskirts of the basin were nearly too shallow to dive. Water temps around 68F and visibility was infinite. Our dive plan was similar to that of diving Morrison, spend a third poking around in the cavern, then the remainder(or until we were cold and/or bored) in OW. We fought the flow shooting out of the cavern entrance(96mgd dontchaknow?) and headed in to look at the eels, catfish, shellcrackers and all the fossils lining the walls. Its a smaller cavern, but lots of cracks and holes and other little details in the walls to look at making it quite fun. I hit a max depth of 50' in the cavern before we exitted to OW to look at the bream, bass, hogchoakers, shellcrackers, and many surface dwellers having fun ontop. We practiced a few skills and looked around for 59 minutes before getting a bit chilly and surfacing.

On the SI, cmufieldhockey and I ran the boat back down the creek to the landing to swap out our empty tanks for some full ones and pick up Amadus's camera rig. The boat was comparatively empty so I got to go fast - whoohoo! Amadus did a short dive to test out his new housing at depth, successfully without leaks. He surfaced which meant we had to gear up. All of us were back in the water again 1:26 after our first dive onsite. Same dive plan, saw the same fish, ect, although a bowfin did make an appearance in OW this time giving us something new to look at. We practiced a couple more skills, I threw off my gear mid-water and rode my tank like a bull while staying neutral. fieldhockey laughed at me, Amadus just kept the film rolling. Hit a max depth of 62' for a dive lasting 46 minutes this time around. We headed back down the creek, broke the boat down and loaded all the gear. Post dive debriefing was done at the Subway in Ponce De Leone.

We had hoped to be able to get a dive in at Becton, but I don't think the waterlevels would have allowed my boat close enough to warrant pulling it the rest of the way. We also opted out of checking Brunson Landing Springs due to time constraints. There's always next time. It was a long drive back and I was tired, but I got alot of great dives in with some great dive buddies.

Excellent! Those of us who were unable to dive last weekend must live vicariously through those who did.

I understand completely, there was once a weekend where I didn't dive. It sucked!

SuPrBuGmAn:
... We wasted quite a bit of time in the shallows until I hit 500psi - arg, I was the limiting factor! ...
That's what you get for diving with them " air sippin' " women. You have to dive with us round bodied old geezers that need ponies and silos if you wan'na look good :D.

Yeah, I wasn't off by much though.

You need to get out to St. Andrews with the camera, lots of great new stuff to shoot.

SuPrBuGmAn:
...You need to get out to St. Andrews with the camera, lots of great new stuff to shoot.
The one time I got to dive there it looked different from Destin for sure. We'll have to make plans to dive there more often, that way if we get blown out we will eventually get a dive in. I still have not given up on P'cola Beach yet either. Amazing how different sea life can be within a short drive of here.

You off on Sunday? We are diving St. Andrews again - Morrison too actually.

Great report SBM! Can't believe you met up with Robert randomly twice in two days.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom