It's official, I think UK lights suck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zamboni19

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After much searching and several good recommendations, I bought a UK C8 from my LDS tonight in prep. for my AOW night dive coming this weekend. Once I got home from the store I decided to take the paper seperator that's between the batteries and light contacts off and check the light. Once I turned it on, *poof* bulb one went out. So I checked the other side...*poof* that one went out too....

OK...so after a trek back to the store I exchange for another one. I tested in the store, no problem. Got back to the house, turned it one way (the c8's have a switch to select which wattage bulb you want to use)...fine. Turned the other way...*poof* again with the bad bulbs.

Mine were from lot 091106. Anyone else have this problem???!?

(I called and emailed them, but if they can't one to me by Thurs. morning, I'll go exchange for something else...I guess you get what you pay for but in this case I am sure I got much, much less than that!!)

Hmm. I've never had problems with UK lights but I do know that they are very good about the warranty on their products. I use 3 of them on a regular basis and haven't had a problem.

While UK doesnt make the best lights on the market, they are certainely not total crap either. The "selector" on my C8 has the same wattage bulbs, one is a backup. For the price its a pretty damn good light.

I've had a UK C8 for years and never had a problem. I sometimes have trouble getting my UK HID c8 Light Cannon to strike with NiMH batteries unless they have a full charge in them, but that's a different matter.

I had the same experience while in a shop with Princeton Tec lights. After the 2nd one blew just turning it on in the shop, I bought a UK. 1 1/2 years later not so much as a drop of water, and one of the longest burn times available.

I wonder if a particular batch of bulbs or complete units can get banged around, dropped, frozen or whatever causing wide spread failures that are not a product or design flaw, but just an occurrence?

Well, I concur with everyone here....I have never had an issue with my C8 or my wife's C4.....I love these lights.

I am glad to hear that you guys have had good success with them, I only wish that I did so far ;(

Since both lights came from the same batch, I am willing to bet that UK got a lot of bad bulbs, though the LDS using rough handling isn't comepletely out of the question either.

In any event, I both called them AND shot them off an email and no one has gotten back to me yet.

I'll update the thread if I actually ever hear from them.

From what I have read here, UK is awesome at responding to these problems.

Racket:
From what I have read here, UK is awesome at responding to these problems.
I emailed them reguarding my SL-4 light that had flooded. I had a reply from them within hours. My next email to them was answered within minutes. They had me send in the light for inspection, and they sent me a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom