Low Volume Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeavyWater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

I've been lurking for a couple of months now..mainly reading reviews/advice. By far the most extensive site I've found on the net. Anyhow, I've snorkeled quite a bit when I lived in Guam and am planning a snorkel trip in the keys next month. I bought gear for me and my wife for the trip as well as we plan on getting our OW cert sometime in late summer. I bought me an Omersub Alien mask. I bought it because I plan to do spearfishing in the future and it seems to be their forte. I've searched the boards and can't seem to find any threads pertaining to this: What is the difference between a regular mask and a "low volume" mask? Obviously, one has less volume but how does that apply to diving? Look forward to participating in the boards!

Cheers. :coffee:

George

a low volume mask is easier and faster to clear than a high volume mask, because there's less gas/water inside to push out

basically, if your mask gets flooded and you have a low volume mask, you will be able to clear it faster and with less effort

i happen to love low volume masks; i'm not sure if it's just me, but they seem to fit and stay on a lot better; also, they are smaller, so there's less "purchase" for a current or a buddy's fin wash to rip them off your face

Just to add to H2Andy's very comprehensive answer. Many of the low volume masks are "frameless" designs so are thinner and more compact than "regular" masks - as well as all the benefits H2Andy pointed out, this is great if you want to carry a spare mask in a pocket.

In addition, comparing to the old masks I used before, one thing I have noticed for the low volume masks is that their lens are closer to my eyes. So, in general, they allow a wider view angle; how much wider also depends on the shape of the lens, of course.

Wider view angle is a big plus for me.

Low volume masks are designed for free diving/apnea diving because the lower the internal mask volume, the less air you will have to blow OUT OF YOUR LUNGS to clear or equalize the mask, hence more bottom time. Plus most low volume masks have a lower profile and are more hydrodynamic. More hydrodynamic = less drag = less energy usage = more bottom time!! George, how do you like the alien by the way??? I was going to get one but I got the Atomic subframe instead.

I have a low-volume "Bandit" mask which I love for everything stated above, but I just wanted to add that there is, at least in my opinion & with my mask, one downside ...there is limited visibility when looking "down" as in lokking down at my BC and sreaching through my BC pockets.
The rest of the visibility is not an issue since I can move my head around.
Just my .2 cents.

Thanks for all the detailed explanations. Makes sense now. I'm totally stoked about the Alien. When I pulled it out of the box, I was thrown off a bit. Now bear in mind, my past snorkeling experiences with masks were of lower quality and the skirts were stiff as hell. The alien's skirt was paper thin and felt like silicone (which it probably is). It's super light and flimsy. I'm scared I'm going to break it :D . I'd say 85% of the weight of the mask is the lenses. The frames are super thin / light weight which leads to the whole "low profile" explanation. The seal is dead on. I love it. I'd say the mask weighs a pound at most. Definitely the lightest mask I've ever picked up. Of course I haven't tested it yet. I'm going to take it for a test run at the local pool this sunday and then of course the true test is in the Keys. I'll report back when I return from my trip.

fjsala:
I have a low-volume "Bandit" mask which I love for everything stated above, but I just wanted to add that there is, at least in my opinion & with my mask, one downside ...there is limited visibility when looking "down" as in lokking down at my BC and sreaching through my BC pockets.
The rest of the visibility is not an issue since I can move my head around.
Just my .2 cents.

The reason for your case is, let's take a look at this:
Use TUSA masks as an example,
ViewTrek vs. Platina, you can find both from here, if you click on -> product -> masks:
http://tusa.com/index2.html

Both of them are of low volume.
but notice that ViewTrek's lens shape is like a "V", the lower part of the lens allows you to see your Octo.
Versus Platina has a flat lower part "-", this will block the user's vision down ward.

For the same lens shape, e.g. a high volume mask with Platina's lens
and a low volume mask with the same Platina's lens.
The difference would be, the thickness of the mask shirt, the thicker the skirt, the higher the volume (W x L x T). If the value of the thickness is smaller, the lens will be closer to the eyes, which means that the tunnel effect is lower.

That's why I mentioned, how wide the view angle, is still depends on the shape of the lens. e.g. if you click on product -> mask -> visulator
the lens is even wider and more "U" shaped at the bottom of the lens.

I tried all of them, it's easy to find another similar high vol mask to see the effect also.

here in nor. california there ia a lot of free divers. and this low volume mask is most definitely designed for free diving. I also use them with scuba. there are bug eye designs which expands your vision downward. so when your on the surface with a snorkel in your mouth. you can look down and see farther than normal masks. expanding your vision even grater than other masks. cressi makes one that I like to use. but there are some really nice frameless low volume masks out. every little bit helps when free diving. have fun.

Back
Top Bottom