• superior

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • huron

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • ontario

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry guys I'm from FL and don't have a clue (you may have already noticed that!)...

Huron, without a doubt IMO. All the others have good wrecks but Huron has the mostest of the bestest.

Erie: Lots of wrecks, but the lake is shallow and storm-prone, thus many of the wrecks are pounded and visibility is not good.

Michigan: Lots of wrecks, especially around Milwaukee/Chicago, depth is moderate so wrecks tend to be protected and accessible.

Superior: Fewer wrecks, very deep, very cold, storm prone, hard to get to. What there is is very good, however.

Huron: Good number of wrecks, but they tend to be in the shallow water areas. Not so easy to get to, a lot of ice damage, poor visibility.

Ontario: The only one that gives Michigan a run for the money. Good conditions and lots of traffic have made for some very good diving.

Best of the Best:

Tobermorey. Situated at the end of the Bruce Penninsula, between Lake Huron and the Georgian Bay and on top of the Niagara escarpment, this is as good as wreck diving gets - in the Great Lakes or anywhere. A wide variety of ships foundering over a long period and found at every depth means something for everyone. The cold, clear water has left most of the wrecks in excellent condition and storms are limited. Besides the best diving, the area is just simply beautiful.

St. Lawrence River. The secret here is traffic, traffic, traffic. Currents, poor visibility and ongoing traffic mean you need to know what you're doing, but there is no shortage of bottom fun here. Easier to get to than Toby or the Straits, too.

Straits of Mackinac. As with the St. Lawrence, the shear volume of traffic that passes through the area has left a lot of wrecks at the bottom. Also an area prone to some ferocious currents, vis is usually better than in the St. L., water is colder.

If you want to learn more, Kris Kohl has written a series of books that provide a wealth of information on wreck diving in this neck of the woods. You won't find a higher concentration of old wooden ships in such excellent condition anywhere in the world that I know of. The zebra mussels have covered pretty much everything, but they've also cleared up the water...a double-edged sword. If you get tired of salt in your mouth, come join us.

Unusual handle, by the way. Wishful thinking or...?

Steven

My only comment would be that the vis on the St. Lawerence can be very good at times, I was on the Keystorm in August and the vis was 60ft. it was assume temp. 75 not bad for cold Canada.

well, I may be biased, but the st. lawrence and the kingston area has a LOT of wrecks, quite a few in really good condition, it's convienient to get to, with lots of charters and dive shops. To me, this makes it the best of the best.

=-)

Easy to get to - almost never get blown out (unlike Erie, which i like but don't do often having one charter being cancelled 3 times in a row)

Haven't been in lake Michigan yet

Here are some pict of lake Ontairo (Kingston) wrecks:

Comet

Marsh

Munson and Wolf Islander

manola (picton)

there is more where it came from is interested - click on the bar on the left:)

It would be a toss up between The Straits of Mackinac and Superior. I know that Superior is a lot harder to get to especially from Indy (Miles, Miles, Miles) but the diving is awsome. When I dove Isle Royale last summer I was in awe. Very good diving. That would again be IMO... Everyone has their favorite spot but to me getting away (Very far away) from home to go on a dive trip makes it that much better.

Jeff Great lakes diver:cheers:Very far away but always the great lakes......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom