Sonoma County- Sea Otters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benthos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Marin/Sonoma/Mendo divers. Please post any recent sightings of sea otters in your respective areas. Look closely at the hind flipper like feet and note the color(s)/ number of tags if present.

Unlike river otters that swim on their belly's with their head out of the water, sea otters will swim on their backs and float high in the water. The have flipper like feet with webbing to the ends of their toes which makes them rather awkward on land compared to the more weasel like river otter.

Bring your binoculars and keep an especially sharp eye out in coves between Reef Campground and Salt Point. Remember to note the color and number of tags present if you can.

Any information will be extremely important.

Thank you and happy diving everyone.

Will do. Is this part of a study you are conducting?

We have seen river otters in Gerstle Cove, but never sea otters. Sure would like to though.

Benthos:
Marin/Sonoma/Mendo divers. Please post any recent sightings of sea otters in your respective areas. Look closely at the hind flipper like feet and note the color(s)/ number of tags if present.

Free-dove Timber Cove today. Shocked at only sighting three abs in 2 hours and two empty shells on the bottom where we were, middle North cove to North rocks, 1/2 to 2/3 out from beach. Only saw 2 free swimming fish. Has someone nuked or poached this cove? Yes, there were people saying they get abs, and on beaches all around us, folks were obviously returning to their cars with heavy floats and big grins... but they were not where we were today in only 4-11 feet of water. We left the 2 legals that we did see (the 3rd one was a squeeker) because lack of population was pathetic there, and felt better enjoying the cruise and going home without than taking them.

I saw what appeared to be one sea otter. My buddy saw another at distance, he thought, but I was up and down and did not see what he saw. He's new to this coast, so I don't know what he classified or if it might have been the same one.

Back
Top Bottom