new drysuit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vazuw

Registered
Reaction score
This my be a stupid question, but for my new dui drysuit, can I use cold water wet suit gloves and hood? Should I wear them under or over the seals?

You can wear them if they provide you enough thermo protection,,just wear them OUTSIDE the seals!!

I agree, I wore my wetsuit gloves and hood last year. Make sure they are over your seals otherwise they will provide a leak path and you will have a wet suit. I switched to Dry gloves and rings this year, they are great!

Thanks guys. Ill be doing channel islands ca this weekend. VERY excited:D

So that's what I did wrong. U mean to tell me I'm supposed to wear the wet gloves and hood OVER/OUTSIDE the seals. That explains a lot... :wink:

Seriously...Not a stupid question. I've dove w/wet gloves and hood while wearing a drysuit in 40 degree water which was fine by me. My LDS drysuit rentals don't come w/dry gloves.

I wear the same gloves, dry or wet.

Hoods, on the other hand... I bought a separate drysuit hood. Wetsuits hoods have a bib that sometimes does not work well with a drysuit. Or, it may work ok (in terms of warmth), but look a little silly. YMMV, but something to consider.

The gloves should be just fine. Your wetsuit hood maybe a bit long and interfere with your neckseal. Try it on before you dive and make sure the extra length is not putting pressure on the seal. Though probably you will not have an issue with either.

Did you just get a dry suit or have you taken a class for it? I recently just got dry suit certified and the book and instructor covered these same questions I had. I used a 5mm dive rite hood and 5mm wet gloves. This was my first dry suit and first hood use. I had no problem with the bib of the hood on the rental DUI TLS suit. Now the hood kept me plenty warm but I wasn't use to using a hood and and had some mask trouble (placing the mask under the face seal of the hood),espeically with 5mm gloves.
The TLS had latex seals. I am waiting right now for my Pinnacle Evo 2 to come and it has latex seals and I don't foresee any issue with the hood.

For those with dry gloves... are they really worth it?

Back
Top Bottom