Adjusting the Transplate harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigred

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought the SS backplate with Transplate, and I need some advice on getting it adjusted properly.

First, how high should the plate be on my back? When I first put on the harness, the weight of the tank pulls the plate down far enough to make it difficult to use the inflator. I can make it better by tightening the shoulder straps so the plate moves up to where I can just barely touch it over the shoulder with my fingers.

The problem then is that this pulls the waist belt up two inches over my belly button. I was going to try moving up the part where the shoulder and waist straps meet, but the instructions warned against doing that.

Also, should the crotch strap attach on my left (behind the buckle), or the right?

Thanks!

Sean

Also, DR has different size inflator hoses. I am rather big and barrel chested. The inflator hose I use is 27 inches long. The one that originally came with my rig, like yours, sat right next to my ear! Get hold of DR and go for a longer hose.

Jim,

Thanks! This helps a lot.

The pictures in the second link show the waist strap above where the belt is on his jeans. I was worried about that, but I guess it's normal.

Geoffrey also suggested moving the side-plate back a bit. I have them moved all the way back, and now the belt is at the same height as the slots on the backplate. This seems more comfortable.

Still tweaking though...

Sean

JBRES1:
Here are a few sites to help you with the fitting.
http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php
http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html
Hope these help.
As for the crotch strap, it goes behind the buckle.

Jim Breslin

It's better with the backplate further up on my back.

I can orally inflate with a slight tug on the corrugated hose and without turning my head too much. The buttons might be easier to handle further down.

I'll try diving it first, but it's nice to know I can make it longer.

Thanks!

Sean

RICHinNC:
Also, DR has different size inflator hoses. I am rather big and barrel chested. The inflator hose I use is 27 inches long. The one that originally came with my rig, like yours, sat right next to my ear! Get hold of DR and go for a longer hose.

I'm having the same problem with mine. I get the shoulder straps and plate fitting fine but then the waist strap is about four or five inches above my waist.

I'm having the same problem with mine. I get the shoulder straps and plate fitting fine but then the waist strap is about four or five inches above my waist.

Try loosening your chest straps and tightening your crotch strap. Try lots of different configurations on dry land. See what works. Then you need to try them wet. Your tanks will ride differently depending on whether you are on land or wet.

Good luck.

You should be able to hold your arm straight out in front of you, then bend it back over your shoulder & just touch the top of the plate w/ your fingertips (as a general rule of thumb).

If the waist belt is riding too high, make sure where your shoulder straps meet the waistbelt, the slides from the shoulderstraps are all the way against the plate. That way the weight of the tank pulling down will be countered by the lack of webbing to pull up on & the BP.

I have a long torso & this is what I had to do w/ my harness. Worked perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom