Trying to have fun with a bad situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba spark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I won't bore everyone with the details, but my girlfriend and I had planned on going on a vacation down in florida and the bahamas June 8-18th this summer. Things didn't quite work out the way we were told, so now we've got two tickets to ft. lauderdale and a whole bunch of time to burn (a few of the days we'll be staying with my brother up in port st. lucy).

I've been thinking about heading down to the keys for most of the time, and just trying to find a place to stay there and dive. I've also thought about hanging around the ft. lauderdale area and just diving from there for 4 or 5 days. Neither of us have much experience diving in the open ocean, most of our diving has been in quarries around the midwest. I think we'd both be ok with reefs or wrecks, it's all pretty new to us. I don't think either of us have been deeper than 90 ft so far, so I don't know about going much deeper on this trip, especially if it's under challenging conditions.

So I guess it boils down to which place is more economical, I don't want to blow too much money finding a place to stay (unless we get refunded quicker than I anticipate). A hotel with a beach would be nice though. Nightlife isn't too important, we definately don't need to go club hopping to have a good time. Just a nice restaurant or two so I can treat my gf to some good meals, and lots of excellent diving.

ps. I've read lots of reports of various dive ops in the areas I'm looking at, so I think I've got that part covered. I just can't decide which part of florida to stay in.

Anyone have some helpful advice?

scuba spark:
I won't bore everyone with the details, but my girlfriend and I had planned on going on a vacation down in florida and the bahamas June 8-18th this summer. Things didn't quite work out the way we were told, so now we've got two tickets to ft. lauderdale and a whole bunch of time to burn (a few of the days we'll be staying with my brother up in port st. lucy).

I've been thinking about heading down to the keys for most of the time, and just trying to find a place to stay there and dive. I've also thought about hanging around the ft. lauderdale area and just diving from there for 4 or 5 days. Neither of us have much experience diving in the open ocean, most of our diving has been in quarries around the midwest. I think we'd both be ok with reefs or wrecks, it's all pretty new to us. I don't think either of us have been deeper than 90 ft so far, so I don't know about going much deeper on this trip, especially if it's under challenging conditions.

So I guess it boils down to which place is more economical, I don't want to blow too much money finding a place to stay (unless we get refunded quicker than I anticipate). A hotel with a beach would be nice though. Nightlife isn't too important, we definately don't need to go club hopping to have a good time. Just a nice restaurant or two so I can treat my gf to some good meals, and lots of excellent diving.

ps. I've read lots of reports of various dive ops in the areas I'm looking at, so I think I've got that part covered. I just can't decide which part of florida to stay in.

Anyone have some helpful advice?

Good luck on finding a reasonable hotel. In FLL, there is a Marriott on the beach within walking distance of the American Diver II and Pro Dive(healthy little walk, this one).

If I were recommending, I'd say stay in FLL, dive there (shallow, mostly < 60ft) and trip up to Boca for a little bit of difference, and spend a day in Key Largo.

I think you will find Key West to be less expensive and more laid back from my personal experience. As far as hotels go you will find more chain hotels in the ft. lauderdale area and more smaller inn or resort style hotels in the keys. I also find that the keys have so many great ways to just lay back and kill some time whereas Ft. Lauderdale is more "City-ish"....

What would be different between diving in boca and diving in ft. lauderdale? I found a place right on the beach Pompano that doesn't seem too bad. I think it's called beachcomber resorts and villas if anyone has heard of it. I think parrot island divers is right around the corner from it as well.

If your wanting the upper Keys, talk to SpearGirl - $125 a night for a condo on the Ocean and VERY CLOSE to a few charters.. you can't go wrong.

If your up on the East coast, don't just limit yourself to the large chain motel/hotels.. the Conch crew invaded a little place near Deerfield and it was a wonderful little economy size room right on the beach. There are also a few really good dive ops in that area as well as beach dives!

I've had good luck with the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, close to Pennekamp park... and its reasonably priced enough for college students and its actually a nice hotel.. not like the roadside holiday inns you normally see. Several pools, outdoor bar, and restaurants a short walk as well as one on property.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll have to send a message to speargirl to get the details on the condo. If it were just me, i'd have no problem staying in a little hole in the wall hotel, but the woman needs a little more in the way of creature comforts.

June is low-season on Fort Lauderdale Beach for sure.

There's lot's of Mom&Pop motels on Fort Lauderdale beach if you know where to look. Most of the motels on Vistamar, Bellmar, Auramar Streets, Birch Road, Breakers Ave, Bayshore Drive, Orion Ave, and Antioch Ave are Mom&Pop places that would be quite reasonable in the summer. Some of the names to check out are the Premier, Sea Chateau, Lorelei, Water Front Inn, or the Merrimac. Most anything in the area of these motels will not be a chain hotel. (and these aren't dumps either)

If you'll have a rental car, four or five good scuba ops are within 15 or 20 minutes away.

scuba spark:
What would be different between diving in boca and diving in ft. lauderdale? I found a place right on the beach Pompano that doesn't seem too bad. I think it's called beachcomber resorts and villas if anyone has heard of it. I think parrot island divers is right around the corner from it as well.

In my experience, the reef dives in FLL are more out-n-back type dives with a moored boat, and the Boca area has more drift diving. Smaller boats, fewer people, more relaxed diving. My dives in FLL were of the "jump off, swim around, and find your way back to the boat within an hour". In Boca, it was Jump off, carry a flag per pair of divers, swim to the reef, and ride the current until your air indicates it's time to start heading up. The boat comes and picks you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom