I need help with leaks from my neoprene neck seal....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have a neoprene neck seal?

I just got a new DUI CLX 450 drysuit, I'm used it on about 7 dives...

I've been getting major leaks on most of those dives, when I've gotten out of the water on my last couple of dives, the water from the leaks has left my booties soaking wet, and I've dumped a little water out of my drysuit...

I'm pretty sure its going through my neck, although I don't know why...

on the last dive, I had someone check my seal for hair stuck, etc, and they said it seemed ok...I'm folding the seal in, under itself, like I'm supposed to..

any advice and/or similar stories from neoprene neck seal owners?

it sucks to have to get cold, wash the inside of my drysuit after the dives, and then wash/dry the undergarments...

thanks,
Scott

hey, I have the same damn problem sometimes. I'm thinking of changing the neck seal from Latex to something better (?) like duct tape or whatever. LoL
When you figure out why the damn thing won't seal, let me know. I'll be over here by the fire drying out the damn dry suit!!

your turning the seal inside out, do you mean turning it in? if not then thats what you should be doing rolling the top of the seal in under itself. I am yet to find a dry suit that keeps you totally dry

Brand0n:
your turning the seal inside out, do you mean turning it in? if not then thats what you should be doing rolling the top of the seal in under itself. I am yet to find a dry suit that keeps you totally dry

yes, I mean turning it in, under itself, so the neoprene is against my skin...

Scott

are you sure its the neck seal? why dont you plug all your seals and fill the suit with lotsssssss of air , spray some soapy water on it. make sure its not leaking anywhere else. after you do that and if its fine maybe try using electrical tape on your neck seal , make sure you put the first layer inside out so none of the sticky side touchs the neck seal (it will rip it) this way you can make the neck seal much tighter.

How far do you tuck it in? Maybe you're not creating enough surface area for the seal. I have a neoprene neckseal on my Bare Trilam HD Tech. I love it. It's very warm. I haven't had any leak at all as far as I can tell. I tuck mine in a good 3" or so.

Make sure you roll the neoprene neck seal half way inside. If that is not it then your neck may be to small for the neoprene neck seal and you may need to go to the latex. Also seal everything thing up and fill the suit completely with air like what was suggested in the post from Brandon.

If your neck is too small you can make a neoprene skin-2-sides collar that will "expand" it a bit. One woman in our program had trouble with the Unisuits (way back when) and she made a longish tube that fit comfortably around her neck and the put the suit neck seal over it and folded the end of the tube up and over the suit neck seal, sounds hard but it was amazingly easy and it solved her problem just fine (she made almost 100 dives north of the Arctic Circle with that get up).

thanks everyone, I think its the neck seal, Its a new suit...I'll check for leaks just to make sure though...

when everyone says my neck might be too small, I'll assume to mean the "height" of my neck (e.g. - shoulders to head). my neck is fairly thick, 16 1/2 inches, so I don't think its a neck-thickness issue..

well I'll try to pay attention to the seal, and make sure its tucked in properly, maybe I'll do a test in the pool soon...

scott

Naw, they were afraid you were a pencil neck. You're not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom