most reasonable$ carribean destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rkru

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to travel someplace this summer and am looking for opinions on destinations that are reasonably priced with great diving. I've been to Cozumel a few times, so that one is out. Any recommendations?

Having been all around the Caribbean over the past ten years I can say that Cozumel is the best and cheapest by far. Let me know if you find someplace else!

Hi rkru:
Welcome to scuba board. Since we all know Cozumel isn't in the Caribbean, Cozumel doesn't answer your question.
As far as cheapest to get to, probably the Bahamas. As far as most bang for your diving buck, because of all the free shore diving, I would say Bonaire.
Hope that helped a bit more.

from Barbados? to Mexico east to west, Venezuela to Cuba south to north.
The Bahamas are in the Atlantic Ocean.

Yes, dear, but you didn't say the Caribbean Sea. You said the Caribbean. Which by the way is spelled with 2 Bs and not 2 Rs.
Anyway, last time I looked Cozumel was in Mexico.

Now did you want something on the Caribbean Sea, even if it's located in Mexico?

rkru once bubbled...
I'm looking to travel someplace this summer and am looking for opinions on destinations that are reasonably priced with great diving. I've been to Cozumel a few times, so that one is out. Any recommendations?

Hi, rkru!

Unless you mean June and a part of July, Summer is not the time to head for the Carib! That is hurricane season. You could go to Bonaire because the hurricane belt is north of that island. HOWEVER, to get there, you usually have to go through Miami or Puerto Rico, right in the thick of things hurricane.

My advice: one of the Hawaiin Islands. My preference: the Big Island. However, Kauai and Maui offer excellent diving, too.

Scorpionfish

Scorpionfish:
Funny! Yeah the Big Island is in the Caribbean. I remember that now. And make sure you check into the Similans too!
Seriously:
There isn't much "cheap" in the Caribbean. Give us a better idea of your budget and maybe we can help more.

Natasha once bubbled...
Scorpionfish:
Funny! Yeah the Big Island is in the Caribbean. I remember that now.

Hi, Natasha!

Sorry if I seemed to have a lapse of geography to you. What I was trying to convey was that the Carib was NOT a good place to PLAN a vacation for Summer because of the uncertainty due to hurricanes.

Instead, I would suggest looking west to the Hawaiin Islands for a SUMMER scuba vacation. There are no typhoons hitting Hawaii at that time. And, in my experience, the diving in Hawaii is not that much more expensive than in the Carib--especially when one factors in airfare. There are some real airfare bargains to Hawaii now.

My suggestion for the Carib during Summer/hurricane season has been to go there only if you can do a last minute trip. That way you can be more sure that a hurricane or tropical storm will not ruin your trip. However, if you take trips that average three-weeks to four-weeks, such as my wife and I do, it is much more chancy since three-week + hurricane forecasts are not reliable.

Sorry if I was not clear,

Scorpionfish

The poster specified "reasonably priced," and I believe it could be argued that Hawaii is not.

For starters, a typical 2 tank AM dive on Hawaii is currently running $100-$110, and rooms start at about $100 and rapidly go up. Airfare is pretty steep from most places unless you live in SF or LA. All of these costs are much less in the greater Carribean.

However, you might be onto something with Bonaire.

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

Barbados represents good value.....especially during summer and the shoulder seasons. Apartment accomodation is very reasonable and great dining is available in all price ranges.

Although not on the radar as a diving destination, good diving can be had. with many good outfits to dive with. Carlysle Bay (Bridgetown) offers 4 shallow wrecks, the latest of which hit the bottom in May/02. Fringe and barrier reefs on the south and west coast offer the usual( and always a few hawksbills.) The premier wreck is the "STAVRONIKITA" off the west coast . It is a 365 ft Greek freighter lying bolt upright, 130 feet to the keel. Great dive.

All in all, a great destination that won't break the bank.

regards; jbm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom