Pros/Cons of different wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt_NJ

Reaction score
So I'm ultimately looking to buy a drysuit but since I cant justify the cost for the ammount of diving i'm doing (And I dont really have the cash right now anyhow) I'm looking to buy a more suitable wet suite. I will be diving in New Jersey and the water temp will be at best in the 50's so I certainly need a 7-mil.

Anyhow here are my questions what I want to know:

1: Is a 7/5 suit okay for this diving? 7/mil in the core and 5 in the sleeves/legs. Many of the suits that I see are like this, and the Henderson Gold Core Hyperstretch 7/5 would probably fit me the same as my 3 mil so I know the fit on that is okay.

2: Functionally is there a big difference between a Combo suite (Farmer John with a Jacket) vs. a standard 1 piece suit?

3: Does anybody know any specific place that I could order one at a great price? :D I did not see much selection from most online retailers for 7-mil suits

Thanks for any and all info

Matt

When I am diving in cold water I use my Henderson titanium hyperstretch 7mm and if it is really cold I add a 5 mm core warmer. Through on 5mm hood and cold water gloves and I am pretty toasty. That set up handles most dives. If it is really cold then it would be drysuit time--not certified yet and do not own one, a goal for the end of the summer. My wife (who is always cold) dives a Henderson 7 mm with a 7mm core warmer. She is good to go with that set up. :cheers:

Check out DiveTank.com. They sell Bare suits at awesome prices. Shipping can be a bit slow coming from Vancouver, but it's not really that big of a deal. Before I went dry I would dive 7 mil in the 50s without any problems. In the 40s you really need to layer a vest of some sort. I dove a Bare Arctic 7mm with 5mm hood and gloves in the 50s. In the 40s I added a 7mm hooded vest with the same 5mm gloves. I got by with that fine until I was able to purchase a drysuit. However, thermal protection varies individual to individual, so YMMV.

I would recommend you go with a two piece 7mm suit. That will give you a total of 14mm over your core, vs just 7mm in a one piece suit. It makes a big difference, and at the temps you will be diving in, I would no go any other way.

Henderson has cut back their product line, but mostly in women's gold core suits. They still have a good selection in men's. We have most of them listed online, and we are always happy to special order anything you need from Henderson.

Whatever 7mm suit you choose considering adding the Gold Core Henderson hooded 5/3 vest...you'll have a cozy 10mm in your core.

Cheers.

-J.-

i have 7/5 mm pinnacle arctic (with merino wool lining), 1 full suit. and 7/3 mm hooded vest. pinnacle merino suits are pricey (~400) but i got a nice deal from my LDS. i dive around Boston where water is cold. it keeps me warm. 1 piece wetsuit by definition should provide a better barrier assuming the fit is perfect. i used to dive in a rented farmer john 7mm (so 14 mm core) but the fit was not so good so i often felt a bit cold. however, if you get a great fit for farmer john it should be fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom