Northern Diver Cortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murrayp4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a ND Cortex and I'm just wondering is there anyone out there who dives with one and whats the general opinion on the suit???

I used one for a few dives. Not a bad suit, I hated the boots, they were hard to put on. Other than that I thought it was a pretty good suit. Seemed well made.

I have one as a backup suit.

Well-built, durable, works fine. I don't like the location of the thigh pockets at all, that would be my only serious gripe (and it is a big one, being on the front of your legs the pockets can be difficult to access and they hang down out of the slipstream).

Been diving my Northern Diver Cortex (front entry) for the last 3yrs. I think it's a great suit but others think it's not flexible enough for them. Granted, it's a stiff suit but for my diving (wreck) it's extremely durable. I replaced the wrist seals last year and just replaced the neck seal this week. You'll need to do that eventually on any suit though. IMO, buy it!

murrayp4:
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a ND Cortex and I'm just wondering is there anyone out there who dives with one and whats the general opinion on the suit???
I had one ... the one that dsteding now owns.

Advantages ... extremely durable suit for a reasonable price.

Disadvantages ... stiff and heavy ... and the pockets on the front part of the thighs is just downright strange ... that's the suit. Biggest disadvantage, however, is dealing with the company. I worked for an ND dealer when I got my suit. It took four months, they totally screwed up the first order, and the second suit fit Doug (who's four inches taller and 40 lbs lighter) better than me ... EVEN THOUGH IT WAS CUSTOM MEASURED FOR MY BODY.

If you can find an off-the-rack suit that fits you properly, and you don't mind the drawbacks mentioned above for the asking price, then go for it. But if you are considering a made-to-measure suit, don't go with this company. That are the absolute worst at it of any drysuit manufacturer I've dealt with ... I would say that during the time I worked with their dealer, they screwed up more than half the custom suits that were ordered ... leaving a bunch of very angry customers in their wake (including me).

I would never want to deal with them again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

murrayp4:
Hi all,

Yes, i've got one and class it as the biggest waste of money ive ever spent on diving equipment. In short, its awful.

The fact i havent had a dry dive in about 18 months despite ND claiming to have pressure tested it is the least of the problems.

The cut of the suit is terrible, even if it fits its like wearing a straight-jacket. Very restrictive due to the seam across the shoulders. Valve drills are a distant dream, being able to touch the back of your head is a minor miracle alone.
The auto dump on the shoulder is poorly placed (partly to do with the seams that run across that area that are also responsible for making it restrictive). As a result its very poor performance and often needs rolling to coax any air out of it at all. I ended up fitting a cuff dump.

The neck and wrist warmers achieve nothing at all other than to interfere with getting gauges on and off or snagging your backup regulator.

The right cargo pocket. Myself and others have lost £100s of pounds of gear from it. As default it has no holes for a bungee loop and the velcro is so weak and flimsy the act of kicking your leg opens it.
People in my club have lost SMBs, slates, reels, tables and masks.
I personally have lost 2 masks and my 3 finger mitts and THATS just walking through waist deep water to the boat. It cant be trusted with dive gear without modification.

The zips aren't heavy duty and fail. Out of 5 people in the club here that bought a suit 3 peoples zips broke within 18 months. Mine hasn't yet but has 3 broken teeth so its a matter of time.

A group (5) of us bought the suits at the same time. ALL hated the restrictive movement and generally poor build quality and 4 sold them. I still have mine but purely because im going abroad soon and will offload it when i get back.

I love my suit so much for todays quarry dive ive borrowed a very old rubber suit with dodgy seals purely so i can be more comfortable and drier than with my ND thing.

Oh, its also very very heavy.

ND in the UK at least have a reputation for poor service as well. I know of people that have waited weeks for alterations for suits that SHOULD have been supplied correctly made. My suit i have UK size 11 feet, got a size 10 boot that is so big i need to wear 3 pairs of skiing socks AND weezle booties to keep my feet in it. Someone else with MTM took her 5 MONTHS to get the suit made correctly to the measurements.

Save your money - there are PLENTY of suits out there £100 cheap that are FAR better build, cut and supported.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom