Tell the truth ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK, everyone tell the truth. Do you carry a whistle, SMB safety sausage, or Dive Alert with you on your dives?
I'm amazed at how many people don't. I think this isn't taught enough in the first open water classes.
Who's willing to confess?

Hi Natasha,

Actually, I have a whistle hooked to my BD and I carry a safety sausage in my BC pocket. Thank heavens I have never had to use either one in a real emergency, but at least I have them if the need arises.

Cheers,

Your darned tootin' I carry a whistle and a safety sausage. I've never have had to use one, but I have been on a dive where a diver used the sausage and was found because of it. He got separated and came up about a mile from the boat. Lot's of current off West Palm Beach.

Besides being a good idea, as an instructor I'm required to have an "emergency signaling device". I've only recently started carrying a signal tube with me, but always have had a whistle attached to my BC.
Neil

My SMB and a whistle stays attached to my BC at all times. Alot of my dives are done in local freah water lakes and the Dive Alert isn't necessary. But on every dive in salt water I have it with me.

I've used the Dive Alert once...sure was glad I had it!

Have a safety snausage, but no whistle. Not a bad idea, though. Think I'll get one...

I always carry a whistle, but it's the one that came with my Ranger. Probably not the loudest thing on the market. I carry a Halcyon sausage when I'm diving any where other than a quarry.

Have whistle that came with the Ranger BC. Still wondering about need for Dive Aleart. Sausage on order.

mmmmm.....sausage....(empty tummy rumble)...DOH!

--TexasHomer

Depends on the dive... I don't carry any of that stuff in caves, for example, while in the open ocean I carry a safety sausage, lift bag and reel, strobe and/or signal mirror.
Rick

For the divers that did respond to this post ..Don't you find it interesting that so far, 72 people have viewed it and only 8 responded. Of course the ones that did respond are well trained and do carry these items.
I think we need to get the word out more. Everyone should not go into the open water without one or more of these. I think the 64 divers that did not respond do not carry a safety device.
Agree?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom