Bait balls in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read in another forum about divers in Bonaire encountering and even swimming through huge bait balls being chased by Tarpon. And then someone posted that they had the same experience in the keys. My eyes immediately lit up! I do two or three dive trips a year and always do at least one of them in Key Largo.

The poster didn't say which key, site or time of year. I replied I had never seen or even read about such an encounter in the keys. Anyone diving Key Largo have this encounter. Yeah, I've seen pretty large schools but never 50' wide bait balls.

Am I missing out? If this happens, is it rare? The poster on that other site said it happened to him in 6 ft. of water.

Signed:
Desperately in need of some Keys wildlife education.

I did that on my 2nd ocean dive in Pompano, not sure about the Keys as I've never been there. yet.

Joe

On your 2nd dive!!? I'm must not be living right.

I experienced something called "minnow caves" in the Upper Keys a few years ago. It was amazing, we were totally surrounded by the bait fish and could not see more than a few inches!!

Fantastic! I read about that site on Rainbow Reef's web site. It's definitely going on my agenda for my trip next month. Exactly the precise kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

MsParamedic:
Debbie and Waynel,

You can find the minnows at The Horseshoe or Minnow Caves (at North Dry Rocks)

Bless you. They are both going on my dive plan. Missiouri to Paradise...I'm green with envy. I'm working hard on going that same route, but still a dream right now. Thanks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom