New Year's Day Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30

Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'lljoin my LDS on their New Year's Day Dive.
Since I just started diving this year I could use some advice.. At the moment I am undecided if I should dive singles or doubles.. I like the redundancy that the doubles will afford me.. Two completely isolated systems.. One is Scubapro Mk25/S600, the other is a Posidon Jetstream.. Both are supposed to be good in cold water.. Only thing is, the rig is kinda heavy and I haven't been doing as much diving in the past few weeks as I normally do.. So the extra gear might be kind of a hassle..
If I chose singles, it will be with an Scubapro Mk16/S550/ R190 octo..not a bad combination either.. But only one 1st stage.
Any tips on getting geard up and ready before and after the dive would be really appreaciated :) Do masks fog up more in really cold water? Just wonder... I can't wait.. Woohoo..

I'd go with the single. With the cold, you probably won't need that much air. :) I dove last New Year's Day and plan on going this year. Most important, DON'T breath on your reg, until you're submerging or your second stage WILL freeze. We had 50 divers in the water, with this simple instruction, not a single free flow.
My reg's an Aqualung (US Divers) Conshelf SE prepped for cold water (nothing else up here in Canada EH).

Single would most likely be the best choise, as it wont be a long dive. I'll be diving in a single with GLUE in Kingston. Anyone's welcome to come along.

Jimmy B

Go with the single. Not sure where your diving but you can be sure that the exit will be slippery and awkward. You wont wnat the extra weight. I did the Connie on Tuesday and the ice is on the stack and on the rocks. Look out Maui here I come. Warm water and Turtles, G'Day Eh!

A single certainly is your best bet! Groundhog's advice is good, don't breath on your reg, until you're submerging or your second stage will freeze for sure, you'd be amazed at the number of people who don't take this advice.

BTW, our underwater Christmas Tree decorating contest went well today, water temp is holding firm at 34F. I can't wait for New Year, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!

:cold:

It must be very difficult to decorate a tree when the water is 34 degrees.
This is something I've never done. Do you actually bring a full size Christmas tree underwater?
Don't the decorations float away?
Maybe I'll join in next year!!
:)

It was a full size Christmas tree; it is amazing what you can do with a few cement blocks! I made sure to use some metal decorations, a few idiots did bring Christmas tree bulbs and I had to make my way around them as they rocked to the surface. I’m all geared up for New Years Day!! Woo Hoo bring it on!!!!!

:D

Is the Christmas tree still there?
It would be fun to go visit and see if the decorations survive.
Taz, maybe you should hang up a stocking near by and Santa will come and fill it for you!!!!
:eek:ut:

barb once bubbled...
Is the Christmas tree still there?
It would be fun to go visit and see if the decorations survive.
Taz, maybe you should hang up a stocking near by and Santa will come and fill it for you!!!!
:eek:ut:

The tree is still there, will keep it til spring. I'll see what I can do about posting a photo of it in my profile, I'll let you know when it is done.

And yes, the stocking is there, will just have to what and see what is in it on the New Years Day dive.

:madelf:

We weere think of doing that this year for charity. I had even gone out and got a bunch of light sticks to hang on the branches. I think we could do this next year for a childrens wish charity. Where is this tree located?, besides underwater:eek:

Back
Top Bottom