Suunto Vyper Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Suunto has changed the algorithms they use in their computers in the last 4 or 5 years? The reason for the question, is that there are Vyper computers available in the old style consoles. These appear to be really good deals.

I am told that this style console has not been made for 3 or 4 years, which (it would seem) would make the computers in them that old too. If the Vyper computer has been upgraded in that time then one would be buying old technology and the less expensive price for the computer may not be as a good deal as it seems after all.

Information and your thoughts would be appreciated, as I am thinking of buying one.

is that the "capsule" on the Vyper is the same. I've had mine out of the console and I've seen one out of the old console and it looked identical.

As far as I know, Vyper's algo is unchanged and is considered pretty advanced, even these days.

It is a good unit. I have it in the wrist version. Got is about a year ago for around $280 at LeisurePro. I am very happy with it.

Ari :)

I have new style console. It is all modular in construction. This means: SPG with end cap, add vyper modual to SPG or compass, or add both for a three instrument set. In other words, any combination of spg, computer and compass, in that order. I don't think the old style allows for adding the compass. Per Leisure Pro, I think the old style is maybe $80-100 cheaper. You can still buy the Suunto compass as a wrist mount for less that that meaning full instumentation for less than spg/computer in new style. Only thing I would wonder, are there any seals that need to be serviced if computer is 4 years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom