3mm shorty or full suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajenn81

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on doing some divng in the Keys in early July and since I am a New England diver, I have a 7mm farmer john. What kind of wetsuit would you recommend I get to use in the more tropical water, 3mm shorty or long sleeve suit?

get a full suit..3mm if you do not cold easily..5mm if you do.Also get a 3mm vest with an attached hood for the longer/colder tropic dives.You can get a quality 3mm full suit for $95. or less at a lds(neosport //henderson).

scubajenn81:
Hi,

I am planning on doing some diving in the Keys in early July and since I am a New England diver, I have a 7mm farmer john. What kind of wetsuit would you recommend I get to use in the more tropical water, 3mm shorty or long sleeve suit?

I would recommend a full length suit in case you inadvertently brush up against fire coral, hydriods etc.

Wife wife and daughter used Bare Velocity full 3/2 mm jump suit in Curacao last year. I on the other hand used a full length Bare 1 mm neoprene dive skin.

I am also from New England.

The water in Curacao was usually between 80 - 820 F.

I am not sure what the water temperature is in the Keys during July.

Regardless of thickness I would still recommend full length.

In July the water temp should be ~80's+...

I recommend a full suit (and gloves for wrecks), when I dove a shorty on wrecks - I'd always come up w/ a few scrapes, and inadvertant brushes w/ jellies on reef dives, etc...

I normally dive a 3mm, in mid/late summer I'll use a skin, and in the winter layer a 3mm FJ top or go dry.

If your one of those who gets cold easily I'd recommend a 3mm when others are using a skin.

-Tim

netmage:
In July the water temp should be ~80's+...

I recommend a full suit (and gloves for wrecks), when I dove a shorty on wrecks - I'd always come up w/ a few scrapes, and inadvertant brushes w/ jellies on reef dives, etc...

I normally dive a 3mm, in mid/late summer I'll use a skin, and in the winter layer a 3mm FJ top or go dry.

If your one of those who gets cold easily I'd recommend a 3mm when others are using a skin.

-Tim

I agree with Tim the water is warm here on reefs and a 3mm you will burn up but on a wreck I would use a 3mm if you get cold easy.

If you're diving in a wetsuit in new England, get a full 1mm suit for down here. They have ample thermal protection and keep ya from getting carved up if you bump into something.

yeah - the only reason you'd need a full suit in the keys in july is for protection from brushing up against something.
i use an akona thremal skin for that...esp on the wrecks.

we dove all summer last year in the keys with just our bathing suits and a rash guard...and most of my friends wont dive in water cooler than 77 degrees as they consider that too cold :) just to give you and idea.

I agree the 5mm is overkill, but...

It depends more on bottom time (and maybe depth)... If you only gonna splash in for a couple dives you could do it without thermal protection (might want a skin for the jellies). If your gonna be diving all week then a 3mm might be more appropriate.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom