Ocean Watch Sunday, June 3, 2007 Fish ID class and dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Fish Friends!

I would like to announce the Ocean Watch June 3, 2007 Fish ID class and dive.

The class will be at the World Watersports Store in Dania Beach, FL
Please see map at:
http://www.worldwatersports.com/dbh.php
Address:

180 Gulfstream Way

Dania Beach, FL 33004
(954) 925-7630

The class will start at 10:00 am and we will wrap up around 11:30 am.
We will cover The Odd Swimmers (Boxfishes, Triggerfishes, Filefishes, Puffers, Drums, etc.) in this class.

The class is FREE and is open to both divers and non-divers.

Please note that the fishes that we covered last year would be sufficient to pass the REEF Level 3 Certification.
For more info on Quizzes please see:
http://www.reef.org/member/experience.htm

Many of the people who have attended my previous classes should have enough knowledge to take REEF Level 2 and 3 Quiz. If anyone would like to try it, please let me know and we will schedule one.

We are also scheduled for a two-tank dive aboard the American Dream II: http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/

The Ocean Watch group rate for the dive is $50, which includes a small tip for crew. You are welcome to add to the tip after the dive trip if you like. The money will be collected by Ocean Watch before the dive boat departs. Please cash or checks only.
Checks should be made payable to the Ocean Watch Foundation.

Important Note:

Please RSVP for a class and a dive separately.

Send an email to alex @ oceanwatch.org to RSVP for the class with a subject line "RSVP: Fish ID Class, June 3, 2007."

Please also send another email to alex @ oceanwatch.org with a subject line
"RSVP: Fish ID Dive, June 3, 2007." to reserve your spot on the dive boat if you would like to participate.

Important: In your RSVP note for the dive, please provide a cell phone number or any other number at which you can be reached on the day of the dive for last minute changes, cancellations, etc.

If someone wishes only to participate in the Fish ID dive, you do not need to send an email to RSVP for the class, only for the dive.

Please note that you MUST register with me at alex @ oceanwatch.org as early as you can and at least 3 days prior to the dive to reserve your spot on the boat. To ensure you get the $50 Ocean Watch group rate, you have to register with me, not the boat captain directly. If someone would like to register at a later time, we will make all effort to accommodate you if there are spots still available on the boat, but the boat fills up earl y, so please try to register early if you are planning to participate.

The boat departs at 1:30pm, but please be there at 12:45pm to load your gear and prepare for the trip. Hopefully, this will be en ough time to get lunch and rehydrate ourselves for the dive trip.

The dives are currently 60' Reef drift for the first dive and another 60' Reef drift for the second dive, but are subject to change based on the ocean conditions.

We will try to organize the divers into small groups of 3 people headed by an experienced Fish ID diver to assist the students in underwater identification.

Boat Location: The American Dream II is located in slip D-99 at the legendary Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Resort, just mi nutes from the best diving South Florida has to offer.
Hyatt Regency Pier 66
2301 SW 17th Street
Fort Laud erdale, FL 33316

Directions From the North:
I-95 South to Davie Blvd.,
East to Federal Hwy (US1),
South on Federal Hwy to SE 17th St.,
Head East, Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is located on the left, just over the Intracostal bridge.

Directions From the South:
I-95 North to 595 East,
East to Federal Hwy (US1),
North on Federal Hwy to SE 17th St.,
Head East, Hyatt Regency Pier 66 is located on the left, just over the Intracostal bridge.

For more details please see:
http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/directions.htm

Parking is $4-5, but you have to get a sticker from Captain Todd from American Dream before leaving the boat to present at the gate to get that rate.

Please note that only certified divers may participate in the Ocean Watch Fish ID dives. Please bring your certification cards with you. Also, all participants will be asked to sign an Ocean Watch Liability release form in addition to the one for the boat.

Ocean Watch will have a few slates and fish ID sheets to loan to the divers who may not have them.

Cancellation Policy for the dive reservations:

VERY IMPORTANT:

In the event you have sent us an RSVP for the boat dive and cannot make it for any reason, please notify us at least 72 hours prior to the boat departure (this means by Thursday 1:30pm on the week of the dive). The captain is holding a certain number of spots on the boat for us at the group rate and we must let him know in advance if he needs to release these spots to the public. Otherwise he (or Ocean Watch) has to absorb the loss. This is not good for our relationship with the dive boat.

If you fail to notify us in advance as described above you would be responsible for paying $50 for the dive if you do not show up.

Please send Alex (alex @ oceanwatch.org ) an email if you have any additional questions about the class or the dive.

Best Fishes!
Alex
Ocean Watch Fish ID Team.
alex @ oceanwatch.org
954-257-2155

Hopefully I can make this class! I always learn something!
Odd swimmers? At first I thought you were talking about some of my buddies! :rofl3:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom