Dive skins protect from stings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldlady

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I am an old lady and a very new diver (waiting to do my open water certification dives). I have always wanted to dive and decided "it is now or never." My question is will dive skins protect me from jellyfish - or do I need to swim in a wetsuit. (I am very hot natured and will be diving in warm water.)

Thank you,

Old Lady

Even 85degree weater will eventually amke u cold, regardless of your normal core temperatures. Even menopausal that I dive with will still get cold, even though their hot flashes seem to be able to heat the house normally. But yes dive skins will protect you from jellyfish stings... But I would urge you to consider at least a shorty wetsuit. Where will you be doing your diving?

Never too old to start diving. Glda to hear you decided to do it! A skin will work for providing some protection. I'm fairly well insulated and diving last year in Cancun on a night dive in 76 degree water, was cold after about 30 minutes on a drift dive.

Definitely a full body suit though.

Thank you for your reply. I will be diving in the Florida Panhandle. I swim daily in water that is below 80 right now and am comfortable when I am moving. I may consider the shorty. I figure I am going to BURN UP in a wetsuit.
Old Lady

My wife and I were in the British Virgin Islands a little over a week ago. The water was 80+. My wife dove her swimsuit or her skin but left the wetsuit in the bag. I dove a 2mil shorty and left my full wetsuit in the bag. A skin will give some protection from stings and it’s not as hot. I say it offers “some” protection because urchins and other spiny creatures should be able to penetrate. Plus a jelly can still sting if it's tentacles are on your suit and you touch them. I’ve never been stung in any suit though. It happens but it’s not so frequent that I worry about it.

Cheekymonkey is right though. Even bath tub water gets cold if you are in it long enough. Without any type of wetsuit my wife and I are cold after an hour. Some people get cold faster, some slower.

Have a great trip!

From an old guy-I use a 1mil full suit in the tropics and it protects me from stinging critters quite well. I still get nailed around the face and neck at times but that's still a massive improvement over no protection. If I get too hot I pull on the collar and flush the suit or ,as it's a front zip, pull the zip down a ways. Works great.

Don't forget you can also get a 1/2mm wetsuit. Just slightly warmer and a lot more protection.

You can't judge how comfortable you will be diving by how you feel swimming, it's just not really the same. I am one that only wears skins in tropical waters though. I've found I prefer the .5 or 1mm neoprene to lycra skins - a little warmer, also more durable and easier to get on when damp. Lycra will provide protection against stuff but the neoprene will be a little better. I think full suits are always a better idea than shortys - full coverage is certainly a good thing if you're worried about jellies or whatever.

I've sometimes gotten hit by sea lice around the neck, so if you're in an area it's a problem you may want to try something like the seasafe lotion on exposed areas. (Didn't find it worked for me but it seems to for others.) I also have a really light lycra hood I can put on at night if I think it might be a problem.

Have not used a lyrca skin, but I do use a Henderson Microprene for warm water diving. Works well. Also works as a layer worn under another suit for winter diving.

Back
Top Bottom