Conch Republic Divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knockneed Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just returned from a sweet diving/fishing trip to Islamorada... Just wanted to give a public shout out and thank you to Capt Gary and Conch Republic Divers. They hooked us up huge with the ScubaBoard discount and lots of insight and kindness. If any of you are headed down that way, I highly recomend them... First class operation! Thanks Gary! - Z

I second that Knockneed Man. We spent a week in April diving with Conch Republic. It was one of our most fun dive vacations ever.

Dove with Gary and Brenda two years ago and had a great experience as well.

I think we should keep this just between us, we don't want to share them with everyone!

Knockneed Man:
<snip>They hooked us up huge with the ScubaBoard discount and lots of insight and kindness. <snip>
This is the first I've read of a discount given to SBers... would someone care to elaborate, please?

We are diving with them for 4 days begining June 8th, can't wait. Tell me more about the discount!

Rescue Diver68:
I think we should keep this just between us, we don't want to share them with everyone!
Too late! They were voted the #1 dive destination in the Keys by Scubadiving Magazine. And they are the hosts for Scubaboard's INVASION II. See my sig. line for more! They rock!

After doing a bit of research a few years ago, I booked Conch Republic for a week long dive trip for myself and an old high school buddy who now lives in Ohio (and for the first two days my brother also). A big component in my picking them was all of the rave reviews about the customer service from the owner, Art.

When we got down to Islamorada on Sunday afternoon, the first thing we did was stop by the shop and lo and behold, there was this guy Gary behind the desk, that I recognized as someone that used to work at the same company that I do. After exchanging greetings he told me that he and Brenda had just bought the shop.

Long story short, we had a very good week of diving, in all sorts of varying conditions, varying number of divers, but a really good week. One day in the middle of the week, there was a small group of guys that were spearfishing on the boat as well. I never thought twice about it, because one of the charters I use frequently allows hunters, always drops them away from the sightseers, etc., but for some reason Brett was not pleased about it at all, took his gear off of the boat, and told me he'd meet me back at the shop later.

When we got back, Gary was very concerned that Brett wasn't happy. Brett and I talked a bit that night and he said that he probably overreacted, and when Gary did his best to make things right with him the next morning, he told him it was no big deal.

The reason I brought all of this up? There are still a number of people that I work with that knew Gary and Brenda a lot better than I did, and since we're not THAT far away from the Keys, a number of them have had the chance to stop by and see and chat with them, even if they don't dive. I had almost forgotten about Brett and the spearfishermen, but one of my friends that had recently returned from the Keys told me that in the course of their conversation, Gary had mentioned it. He may have even thought that it was the reason that I have not been back to dive with him since then ( Gary - it's not - I just have not been able to get back to the Keys at all since that trip!).

I know that Gary and Brenda had to prove themselves to the locals when they were getting established, and that they have had to weather some changes while "earning their stripes". It's nice to see so many folks on here that have used them recently having nice things to say about them and their operation.

And I think one of the things that likely keeps folks returning to them is that they are serious enough about customer service and customer satisfaction that a minor incident like the one I related isn't something they blow off as just someone being petty (which in my opinion wouldn't be an unfair characterization), but rather a case of "if the customer has a problem, then I have a problem", which a lot of businesses would do well to emulate.

Gary and Brenda - I promise as soon as we get a chance we'll be back to see you!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom