Reefcheck Class Report - 19-20 May 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ben_ca was unfortunately called away for work and could not join us for 2 fun filled days on the Silver Prince. I'll do my best to complete the report. Won't have as many pictures since I lost my Canon S50 on the last dive on the second day. If anyone sees the camera around Monterey, please let me know :wink:

Day 1: Hopkins Research Center

Arrive in Monterey at a reasonable 8:30am. The boat is set to depart at 9am and everyone is all ready to go. After a flurry of loading gear and signing of waivers, we set to sea with overcast skies.

On the boat, Cyndi introduces to Marcos. He'll be the other instructor for the course.

We achor off Hopkins Research Center in flat waters. While I am excited about the Reef Check dives, I am torn. Part of me is eager to head to Carmel and deeper water where reports of 70'+ viz abound.

Nilsdiver and I team up, and while we've known each other for over a year, this is the first time we'll be diving together.

Dive 1: Seaweed and Invertebrate

For the first dive, Nilsdiver is #1 and I'm #2. We review the dive plan and do an equipment match.

Cyndi and Marcos jump in first to set up the transects for our seaweed and invertebrate passes. I put my mask in the water and barely make out Nilsdiver five feet away through a thick blanket of green. Fortunately, at depth we're greeted with 30' viz and calm seas.

The first line, nilsdiver and I collect seaweed and algae data. At each giant kelp, we stop and count stipes. One specimen had 50 stipes, and another specimen had even more so that I lost count. I mark "50+" since I recall a discussion of sub-sampling to stop at 50. We also see plenty of laminaria so I diligently mark each one on my table.

Second line, I am overrun with bat stars. I surprise myself when I slow over a crevice and peer down and find purple urchins tucked away. That's really cool to me, I normally would have missed something like that. I then look under an overhang and see a massive sun star. Not too far way I see a giant spined star. At the end of the dive, I count a rock scallop.

Nilsdiver and I cruise a few minutes more to practice our fish ID and then we thumb the dive.

Back on the boat, Marcos reviews our handywork. First off, he points to some laminaria on the boat as asks if we had marked this speciment down on our sheets. Sensing a trick question, but still guilty, I meekly nodded yes. The laminaria is not part of our survey and should not have been counted. The distinguishing feature was a clear middle rib, which the surveyed laminaria does not have. D'oh. Marcos then asks about the number of stipes on our largest giant kelp. I say 50+, and Marcos reminds me that all stipes must be counted. Subsampling is not applicable in this case. Double D'oh.

The invertebrate sample fairs much better as we are in alignment.

Cyndi reviewing datasheets:
rc_debrief.jpg

Everyone takes a short SI, and people enjoy the Silver Prince's hot cocoa and bagels.

Dive #2: Fish size and UPC.

Nilsdiver and I switch team positioning and I'm #1. Cyndi and Marcos splash first to set up the course, and then it's our turn.

Along the first transect line, the same fish stations are positioned. At around 5'-8' away, I make some IDs and size estimates, and then swim up to verify. Since this is the same routine as we practiced in the pool, things go fairly well. Lots of black perch and kelp rock fish. A lingcod thrown in that is larger than 30cm and a couple of senoritas. I record the fish in what I think are the appropriate cells and then make way to the second line.

UPC measures 3 items every 1 meter. This starts slow, but overtime both nilsdiver and I become faster as we are more familiar with the coding scheme. Given the rocky terrain, there is a good variety of substrate, cover and relief to capture.

After the dive, Marcos again checks our sheets. That lingcod I recorded as larger than 30cm? Yep, it's larger than 30cm, but it was smaller than 50cm. The "large" fish have different column heading. Nilsdiver is not so easily tricked as he marks his sheet correctly. Teacher's pet...

During the SI, the skies remain overcast and wind and swells pick up. At this point, I'm no longer thinking of Carmel and happy to be in the protection of the bay. About 1/2 of the team enjoy a cup a noodle from the boat's galleys.

Dive #3: Fish transect practice

We're off on our own to lay down the transect tape and conduct our own fish transects as practice. I'm happy to jump into the water as I'm starting to feel the swells.

Nilsdiver resumes #1 and he grabs his transect reel. After an equipment match and review of the dive plan, we both giant stride off the boat.

Underwater, conditions have deteriorated. The once abundant fish have gone into hiding. The swell and surge appear to have driven them into hiding or to deeper waters. Nilsdiver and I each conduct 2 transects a piece. While fish were at a minimal, the harbor seals were still out for some play. At one point, I looked back to find a harbor seal wrapped around the transect, tape is his mouth, and eyes taunting, "why don't you dare me?"

After our fourth transect, we call the dive and ascend. Back on the boat, we compare notes and start stowing our gear for the return ride to port. Good thing about our dive spot, it's a short travel time back to the dock.

Nilsdiver cleaning up after Dive #3:
rc_nils.jpg

Day 2: Monterey Bay Aquarium

Arrive again at 8:30am. As I load up, rhlee waves hi from the Escapade. He, alwaingold, and a few friends are on the AM charter. I'm sure they'll have a dive report with spectacular photos soon.

As the seas are forecast to get rougher today, we make way to Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Repurposing a picture nilsdiver took last week to show our approx. dive site:
rc_mba.jpg

Dive 1: Seaweed and Invertebrate

Repeat of yesterday, except it's testing time -> intercoder reliability check. Today, Cyndi is watching nilsdiver and I.

After waiting a few minutes for Cyndi and Marcus to set the transect course, nilsdiver and I descend. Viz is 4 meters, but plenty for us to get conduct our survey.

Learning for yesterday, I ignore the laminaria and look for the desired native seaweed. There's a lot of giant kelp on this transect so it's slow goings. The surge rocks me back and forth as I meticulously count each stipe. Smaller plants this time, as my largest cluster is 21 stipes. I look ahead and nilsdiver is making good progress. He's obviously a more proficient underwater counter than I am. We both finish the count close to the 10 minute mark and proceed to invertebrates.

The second transect, I again see bat stars galore. Then a giant spined star, purple sea urchin in some crevices, sun star, a lone red abalone tucked away, a warty sea cucumber, a gumboot chiton out of range, a large anemone, a small CA sea cucumber, 1 red and 2 pink abalone in another crevice with some more purple urchins, and another giant spined star.

Upon completing the transects, nilsdiver and I thumb the dive an ascend. My ascent is a little shaky as I'm having a difficult time venting. Over time, my drysuit dump valve has vented less and less.

During the review, nilsdiver is spot on with his macrocystis count. He maxes out at 50 species for the 10 meters. I undercount as my measurement window is too tight. The invertebrates is close, but we both mis-identify the large CA sea cucumber as a warty sea cucumber. And we mark the flat abalone as pink. Cyndi patiently walks us through the difference and encourages us to look again next time we're in the water.

Nilsdiver's picture of one red and one flat abalone during our test:
rc_abalone.jpg

The sun is out today, and that's a welcome change. At least we'll warm up between dives.

Dive #2: Fish transect and UPC

Nilsdiver is #1 and I'm piggybacking while Cyndi follows along. Immediately, 2 striped perches cross out path. We cruise along a little longer and I see both nilsdiver and Cyndi making notations on their respective sheets. Hmmm... missed that one. Near the end of the tape, we come up agains a wall. As nilsdiver and Cyndi look right, a striped perch comes up on our left shoulder. Hurray for the second fish IDer. We ascent a few meters up over the wall and end the line.

Nilsdiver reels the tape and we proceed to the UPC line. After a false start down the long transect tape, we start our sampling. A little more than 10 minutes later, we complete our measure and call the dive.

Once we break 30', I show nilsdiver my great diving technique by doing a vertical ascent of 60' per minute with my drysuit dumping the entire way up. Nothing close to the graceful, controlled horizontal ascent I'd prefer that he witness.

Back on the Silver Prince, Cyndi reviews our technique and sampling. We're both close on fish and UPC so we break for a longer SI. This time, everyone is eating cup-o-noodles. I can vouch that it's quite delicious after a dive in 50 degree water.

Dive #3: Core transect

Last dive of the day and we're putting it all together. I'm #1 and hop into the water as quickly as possible. The SI was a little too long for me, and the swells were making me feel unsteady. Plus, I had abstained from coffee all weekend, and the lack of caffeine was getting to me.

After making our way to the edge of the kelp, we drop and swim into the kelp at a 210 heading. I find a suitable tie-off and we then we conduct our fish transect at 90 degrees. A blue rock fish is immediately in sight and I mark it as a perch. A few moments later, a small kelp bass swims in front of me. Later, what I believe to be a vermillion rockfish jams pass. The line takes us over a sandy area but we end next to some small rocks.

Nilsdiver turns and starts invertebrate. I follow with UPC. At the 27 meter mark, I pass nilsdiver as he's now collecting algae and seaweed. A harbor seal has attached himself to nilsdiver, and I'm fearing a hand-off. Sure enough, as I complete the UPC pass, I feel the constant tugging and nipping of my fins. At the end the line, I turn to grab my camera for some nice action shots of nilsdiver and I find my trusty camera missing. I swim back on the line with the harbor seal locked on my tricep. In some ways, quite cute. In other ways, quite worrysome.

Nilsdiver completes his survey and we call the dive.

Overall, a great weekend of diving. And a great two weeks of training. While I'm not even close to master surveyer, just taking the course has given me a stronger appeciation of our ecosystem and the inhabitents in it. I haven't converted to a fish guy, but I can see the allure.

Thank you Cyndi and Reef Check for the class!

And thanks nilsdiver for being a great teammate.

sounds like a fun class. sorry to hear about the camera :(

ae3753:
...I'll do my best to complete the report. Won't have as many pictures since I lost my Canon S50 on the last dive on the second day. If anyone sees the camera around Monterey, please let me know :wink:

Very interesting. Yesterday I received a telephone call from a faculty member at the Naval Postgraduate School who said he found a digital "point and shoot" camera in an underwater housing somewhere "on the beach". He said that if anybody lost such an item, they could call him and, if they can identify it properly, get it back! So here's hoping it's yours.

This fellow's name is Jim Stockel, and you can reach him at 831-656-3256. Good luck.

Bruce

Hey Don,
Great report...Bummer about the camera... let's hope it's the one that was found... Sorry I missed the dive day but this will give me more time to study... :)

zf2nt:
Very interesting. Yesterday I received a telephone call from a faculty member at the Naval Postgraduate School who said he found a digital "point and shoot" camera in an underwater housing somewhere "on the beach".

Bruce,

Thank you very much! I hope it's mine. It'll be nice to complete the report with some pictures.

Much appreciated!

-Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom