BC Tank Strap Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vfox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know any tricks to get the tank strap to slide down on the tank easier on initial setup of the day? :huh:

make sure it's wet and have a second set of hands to work them (2 right?) down the tank. If you only have one, try a slight twist motion and make sure the strap is completely open as wide as it'll go.
Just the nature of the beast.

vfox:
Does anyone know any tricks to get the tank strap to slide down on the tank easier on initial setup of the day? :huh:
Here's what I do. Remove the last weave of the strap thru the buckle (that's the weave that lets you pull the strap down to snap the buckle closed on the tank). Now loosen the strap in the buckle enough so it doesn't drag on the tank at all when you drop it over the tank. Once the strap is at the height you want on the tank, it's easy to snug it up in the buckle. Now push the buckle in the "closed" direction so that its cam bits start to engage in the tank. Hold the buckle in this position while you re-insert the strap through the last weave of the buckle. Keep holding it as you now pull the strap end to snap the buckle closed.

If I'm near water, I dunk the rig before starting, to minimize chances of slipping after the strap has been tightened. If I can't dunk, I fill a plastic soda bottle with fresh water and pour it over the straps before staring.

And if you don't have a plastic soda bottle of water near and the lake/quarry/spring is too far from the parking lot to "dunk" it, have your buddy tighten the strap after you enter the water. Where I live (Reno, NV) it's very DRY and I can guarantee that dry strap WILL stretch once it's wet. It takes only one exit trying to carry your tank on your hips and you won't forget that. :) :) :)

Or Halcyon cam-buckles. They're quite easy to put on but nothing short of a nuclear explosion is going to loosen them once they're in place.

SparticleBrane:
Or Halcyon cam-buckles. They're quite easy to put on but nothing short of a nuclear explosion is going to loosen them once they're in place.
Ditto for Dive Rite's cam buckles...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom