How to: Install Dry Gloves in 5 minutes! (Picture Heavy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Howdee.

I had been agonizing over buying dry gloves, mainly because I had read that they can be difficult to install. After a winter of diving wet gloves in 37 degree water, I decided it was time to try dry gloves.

So, I Pm'd Bob3, had him send me a set of Viking Bayonet Rings and I was well on my way. They arrived a few days later, and I set to the arduous task of installing the damnable things. I agonized over them for an hour, then finally had an "Eureka" moment. After that, I finished the installation in about 3 minutes.

So, for those of you who are interested, here's a quick howto guide with pikturez!

I installed these on my Bare XCD2 Suit, which has latex seals. I also chose to use the very inexpensive Atlas glove setup instead of the MUCH more expensive Viking gloves. Installation will vary based on what you have.

Let's get started!

Here's what comes in the package... You get two of each colored ring, which the instruction booklet says correspond to various different types of Viking suits. They claim that you use the blue ring for non-Viking suits. Uh-Huh. You also get a sets of large bayonet rings (these mount to the suit side), and the smaller set that mounts to the gloves. They even throw in a little tube of grease for the o-rings. Oh, and a confusing manual.

Ya know... forget the manual. If you follow it, you'll get nowhere. Chuck it in the trash and don't look back.

Okay, with that resolved. Bust out the gloves! These are standard issue $3 Atlas 660 gloves. Any marine supply store should carry them, and they're tough as nails. The liners are another $1 or so. Compare these bad boys to the $80 version dive shops try to sell, and you'll notice they're the exact same thing. Don't get had.

Gloves in hand, we need the rings. You'll need a blue ring and one of the smaller bayonet rings.

Check out the bayonet ring. You'll notice that it has two very different sides - the bayonet lug side obviously interfaces with the other bayonet ring, and the opposite side has a large inner surface that will form the seal on the dry glove.

Take the blue ring, and stuff it inside of the glove. Get it to stand upright, about 1" from the end of the glove.

Then tuck the extra glove material inside. This will help support the ring as you press it into the bayonet ring.

Line up the bayonet lug with the glove's thumb and press the gloves into the ring. This is easiest if you grab the glove side with both hands, using 4 fingers on each hand to press the glove into the bayonet ring while pushing against the ring with your thumbs. This is difficult to photograph :wink:

When you're done, the glove should look like this:

Perdy.

Now the drysuit side! Again, don't listen to that stupid @#$@*!$ manual. It claims you're supposed to use the blue rings for non-Viking drysuits. That's a bunch of crap. The blue rings did not fit on my suit, and just caused a tremendous amount of frustration as they were too large.

The rings are all of slightly varying size. As far as I can tell, Green is the biggest, then blue, yellow, and finally black. The entire range is about 1/4", so the sizes aren't particularly obvious.

Anyway, for my suit, the yellow ring fit. Basically, you want to feel the same amount of tension when pressing the seal in as you did with the gloves. If it's too difficult, use a different ring.

Yippee, yellow ring + suit bayonet ring (the bigger one)

Like the gloves, shove the ring down into the sleeve of your suit. While you could probably do this from the wrist side, I found it easier to go from the inside of the suit. Stand the ring up like you did for the gloves, and position it about a 1/4-1/2" or so in front of the sleeve.

Tuck it in again. We like to tuck. No nip. Just tuck.

Line the bayonet ring up with the ring inside the suit, and make sure the bayonet lug is along where your thumb would be if your hands were out and palms were down. You may need to adjust this slightly to find the right angle for you.

And push!

Yippee, if it looks like this, you're done.

Just attach the gloves...

Enjoy your dry hands!

-Brandon.

Excellent post!! I was just going to ask about the drysuit side. As someone who is considering either DC or Viking systems, this is very useful. Thanks!

I'm loving them. Very secure, don't seem like they'd fail easy, hands are warmer, and the dexterity improvement is awesome!

I dropped my hand down to my left waist D-Ring today to clip off my light, and found the ring instantly. I actually had to tug on the light about half a dozen times because I didn't believe I had managed to secure it on the first try.

I'm easily able to put them on by myself, and I don't think it takes any longer than my 7mm neoprene gloves do. With practice, I'm certain I can do it faster. Doffing the gloves is super easy, but the bayonet rings do make exiting your wrist seals slightly more difficult. Not enough to truly be considered a downside though.

I had worried that the extra bulk on the wrists would make getting into my BC more difficult, but it wasn't an issue.

-B.

I notice on the (very) few sites I can find where they are being sold, that they list the 'cuff rings' and the 'bayonet glove rings'. I'm assuming that I have to buy these two separate packages? The 'glove rings' package doesn't include the cuff rings as well? Is there an 'includes everything' package anywhere?

For example, here is what I'm talking about.

Viking has two different ring systems, the "Viking Dry Glove Cuff Rings" and the "Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Rings."

You don't have to buy both, just get the bayonet rings. And ask Bob3 for his price, he beats the pants off Scubacenter's.

-Brandon.

The kit I bought had all the rings -- suit and glove -- that I needed.

Different suits have different latex seals. I could use the blue rings on mine, but had to use the green ones on Peter's.

Once you figure the system out, it really does take about three minutes to install or uninstall the rings. Changing out gloves at a dive site, if you hole one, is really trivial.

SparticleBrane:
http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/drygloves.html
Never used drygloves but several people I dive with use this setup. No rings or o-rings to mess with--just a set of drygloves with some insulation underneath.
From what I've seen, they are also a serious PITA to put on.

JeffG:
From what I've seen, they are also a serious PITA to put on.

Well, the FIRST one isn't...

Its putting on the second one that's rough. :eyebrow:

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom