Shorty or Full?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HtownDiver

Reaction score
I'm going in for my first dive class tonight. I was asked to purchase at least a shorty wetsuit so I can:

1) get used to putting it on and taking it off
2) the final dive will be somewhat colder water than the indoor pool
3) it is always good to wear a suit to prevent sunburns and stings

I'm located in SW Texas. I do plan on doing some lake diving, but I also will be doing diving in Cozumel as well as the Cayman Islands. Should I just get a shorty for now and just use that, or should I get a full body suit?

The next question, how thick? I'm guessing that 3mm would be good enough for what I plan on doing. I am a newbie, so that explains my questions. :D

Get both the shortie and long suites. I did and I have all my diving covered.

Michael

whatever you need to get, get a full suit. Ask local gurus what thickness

HtownDiver:
I'm going in for my first dive class tonight. I was asked to purchase at least a shorty wetsuit so I can:

1) get used to putting it on and taking it off
2) the final dive will be somewhat colder water than the indoor pool
3) it is always good to wear a suit to prevent sunburns and stings

I'm located in SW Texas. I do plan on doing some lake diving, but I also will be doing diving in Cozumel as well as the Cayman Islands. Should I just get a shorty for now and just use that, or should I get a full body suit?

The next question, how thick? I'm guessing that 3mm would be good enough for what I plan on doing. I am a newbie, so that explains my questions. :D

Full all the way. If you are in an environment where a shorty would be fine, you still are not going to be too warm in a full suit. The full also will give you protection from jellyfish and accidental brushes against coral or other hard surfaces (which is likely to happen on occasion with a new diver).

As a general statement, a 3 mm is usually fine for many tropical waters. However, I would be a tad bit cold in Cozumel in a 3 mm. I usually bring a 1 mm shirt, a vest and hoodie for those times where the 3mm is not enough (because I do not own a 5mm and don't dive enough in slightly cooler waters to make the 5mm purchase worth my while).

TravelSimone:
Full all the way. If you are in an environment where a shorty would be fine, you still are not going to be too warm in a full suit. The full also will give you protection from jellyfish and accidental brushes against coral or other hard surfaces (which is likely to happen on occasion with a new diver).

As a general statement, a 3 mm is usually fine for many tropical waters. However, I would be a tad bit cold in Cozumel in a 3 mm. I usually bring a 1 mm shirt, a vest and hoodie for those times where the 3mm is not enough (because I do not own a 5mm and don't dive enough in slightly cooler waters to make the 5mm purchase worth my while).

That is a very good idea. I will have to do that! Thanks for the inputs everyone! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom