Conversion mbar to feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kb2ehj

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I know I should know this but (a) I've forgotten and (b) I'm not near my books were I could find this out.

I have one of the Sensus Ultra data recorders and it's export CSV file has the dive depth recorded as mbars and temperature in Kelvin. I know how to do the temp conversion. I just need the formula to convert mbar to feet (depth that it was recorded)

thanks for the assistance

Mark

1013 mbar = 1 atmosphere, normally everybody just uses 1000 mbar or 1 bar to 1 atmosphere. 1 atmosphere is approximately 33 feet of depth, so 1000 mbar = 33 feet.

I have two different references handy, which are giving me two different answers. The first is:

[millibar] x 0.033417 = [feet H2O]

and the second is:

[millibar] x 0.03346 = [feet H2O]

Hope this helps...

Most decompression literature defines 1bar as equivalent to 10 meters-salt-water, so so every 100mbar is 1 meter of depth. If you are familiar with depths in meters, just shift the Sensus output by 2 decimal places to get depths in MSW. A reasonably accurate mental conversion from meters to feet is that every 3 msw is 10fsw.

If you are looking for a conversion factor to plug into a program I come up with slightly different numbers than the other posters -----

1 bar = 10msw. 1.01325bar = 1atm = 33fsw. So the conversion factor between bar and fsw is 33fsw/1.01325bar = 32.57fsw/bar = 0.03257 fsw/mbar.

Thanks for all the posts! I've tried all of them and I"m getting close answers to what the Sensus is reporting in its application.

My ultimate goal is to import the raw data into a mysql database, then be able to have a dive log viewable on a website (this is what the conversion was needed for).

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom