Anyone Stayed at "Suites at Key Largo" or "Marina del Mar"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone stayed at either place? Both are advertised on Expedia as allowing pets and look like a bargain for $149.00-159.00

Just hoping someone can confirm whether either is a dump. :)

Friends have stayed at Marina Del Mar and liked it.

You could rent a condo at Kawama from Becky aka Speargirl for just $125 a night and I believe they allow pets...lots of folks here have stayed at Kawama and loved it.

I'm very familiar with Marina del Mar as we always hang out at Coconuts, the restaurant/bar that all the divers and boaters frequent right next door. We have stayed in lots of places over the years from Islamorada to Miami.

I've booked a room for a week at Marina del Mar in June. As you may know, most of the hotels in Key Largo in that price range, while not certifiable "dumps", aren't going to look like $150 rooms you might find elsewhere. The hotels in that price range are almost always older properties and might look a little worn. My wife and I call it that "keys" look. You won't get anything that looks like a new "resort-type" until you get up to the $200 range, which is why they don't allow pets.

I'm a dog lover myself, but I hope you realize that any place that allows pets is not going to be pristine. Pets have hair (and accidents) and it takes a super human effort to keep a place in top condition after animals have inhabited that space. Anyone who has ever owned rental income property knows this. IMO, I think you'd like Marina del Mar. It's as nice as you can get considering they accomodate pets.

Yes, I have stayed at Marina Del Mar many times over the past few years. The location is excellent and the rooms are very comfortable. I always get better rates if I have the dive operator book the room for me. Either Bluewater Divers or Ocean Divers can help you get better rates. I remember paying $99.00 per night during the week for a nice one bedroom unit as the weekend rates are higher. My vote Marina Del Mar and hit Coconuts for dinner too! :crafty:

I've also stayed at Marina del Mar, for about $100/night booked by dive op. Rooms were a bit musty but that us divers' fault. Location is great, Coconuts is great, and it's so nice to just walk down the dock to the boat in the morning rather than having to load up the car and drive to the dive boat.

I've also stayed at Ocean Pointe condos. Accomodations are much nicer, you have a full kitchen, more room, and it can even be cheaper if you divide it up by 4. And they have a free continental breakfast. But you'll have to drive to your boat dock in the morning.

Make sure you stop by the restaurant next door to Ocean Divers. I think its called Sharkey's but anywho they have great food.

Ive stayed at the Marina Del Mar, and Suites. (Silent World has an excellent dive/hotel with the Suites (around $100 a night).) The rooms at the Suites are two level condo type. Queen size bed upstairs with a full bath, down stairs is a sofa sleeper (Queen size) full bath, full kitchen and screen in porch overlooking the canal. They also have a small pool for a non-diving spouse, kid or friends.

I stayed there a week. What MsParamedic said. Nice accommodations. A little tight for more than two people. $100 per night is a DEAL!

Personally if I stay anywhere in the Keys it would be at Kawamas. Having a nice 2BR 2Bath Condo that easily fit 5 adults and 3 kids with lots or room to spare is a bonus. Having a full kitchen and marina right there is nice too. There are several charters right down the road also.

One more vote for Marina Del Mar. My charter was out of that marina too so I just had to walk downstairs to the boat :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom