heading to Pompano the week of July 4th - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpiderSense

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back after a good week of diving in Jamaica. We're already itching to dive, so we just booked our flights to Pompano Beach the week of July 4th.

if you recall, our last trip to Pompano, there was a cold front that came in and thus no diving. We had to go north to swim with the manatees and in a couple of springs. frreeeezzingg..

any recommendations for dive operations? dive spots? dive tips?

i'd like to take photos if the current isn't too strong. night dives safe?

we plan on diving as much as we can.

thanks in advance.

SpiderSense:
we just booked our flights to Pompano Beach the week of July 4th.
any recommendations for dive operations? dive spots? dive tips?
i'd like to take photos if the current isn't too strong. night dives safe?
we plan on diving as much as we can.
thanks in advance.

Parrot Island Scuba or Avid Diver Charters or Miss Conduct

Everyone else is too far from the inlet (I'd rather use that time to dive versus ride up/down the Intracoastal Waterway).

I suggest booking spots ASAP, boats are filling fast for that week.

I was just in Pompano beach last weekend. Parrot Island Scuba is great! I highly reccomend them.

We did find currents to be fairly strong most days...all of our reef dives were drifts. But it's not so strong that you can't get some good photos. Some of the wrecks were a bit challenging because of the strong currents. But our sightings of Goliath Grouper, a Nurse Shark and a very large Sting Ray certainly made the wrecks worthwhile.

We did one night dive, and it was great. While we were under a small thunderstorm passed by overhead. The lightning made for an awesome visual effect.

Have a great time!

Mountain Dog

While you're in Pompano that week, you can go to [FONT=arial, helvetica]Sounds of the Underground concert at the Pompano Park Amphitheatre and feast on great acts like Gwar, Every Time I Die, Necro, This Is Hell, and Goat*****. I'm sure that many Scubaboarders will be there, although probably outside the gates.[/FONT]

thanks! i'll call parrot island and just book the dives in advance.
i hope there isn't alot of current though.

come to think of it.. this trip is gonna cost more than a trip to curacao. :-\

SpiderSense:
i hope there isn't alot of current though.
Gulf Stream = current. They are drift dives and are a lot of fun and very relaxing besides. You'll flow along with it, not work against it.

John

deepstops:
The Native Cracker says.....

The current we drift in here off the east coast of Florida isn't the Gulf Stream per se, it's actually the Florida Current, which is where the Gulf Stream originates from. http://oceancurrents.rsmas.miami.edu/atlantic/florida.html
Wow Brian...I tried to read that....but it had alot of big words.... :confused: But now I know that I'm drifting in the Florida Current.

But that being said, Spidersense, it's easy diving and drifting. It can be mildly challenging on some of the wrecks, but usually just makes for some fun dives!

HilaryRN71:
Wow Brian...I tried to read that....but it had alot of big words.... :confused: But now I know that I'm drifting in the Florida Current.

It all makes sense after RUM though, try it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom