Poly-pro. Long Underwear: How Not to Offend During Surface Interval/Chemical Smell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just about to head out on a road/dive trip. I don't have time before I leave to buy some Capeline long johns or some other material-maybe somewhere along the road...

Anyway, I have read and now have experienced the ugly ammonia chemical scent that poly-pro underwear under a drysuit, gives off once you sweat it up. It's very strong and no, it's not from my bodily fluids:blinking:

Apparently this is a commonly known problem with poly-pro. Any ideas or experiences for getting the stink out or at least convincingly covering it up during a surface interval? I won't have time to change out of it between dives, just the drysuit itself. I thought about adding some vinegar to the wash, but didn't want to smell like an ammonia salad!:huh:

If not, I'll add my caveats to the use of this material for drysuit underwear. It stinks!
Does anyone know if Capeline or other materials have the same issue?

Thanks.

Hey, thanks Lamont. I did some searching and others who are chemically sensetive to perfume/fabric softener/laundy detergent scents, gave this product a good review.
Guess I'll give it a try on the road. Now whether or not to go microbacterial formula or citrus...the spray sounds like a good quick fix.

Any idea if Capeline or some other wicking material anyone could recommend instead of poly-pro give off similar ordors?

After many climbing expeditions my old polypro was in pretty bad shape. I just took it back to Patagucci and recycled it and bought some new capline. About all you can do after a while as the oils build up. Capline is a bit better with the odor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom