Destin Jetties dive report 5/26/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got up early at 05:30 this morning to get the gear together for an 07:00 meeting with ReefHound at the jetty parking area. I expected low crowds at that hour, but there were less people the whole morning than I was thinking would be there for a holiday Saturday. I headed across the sand with the yacht and got ready. ReefHound and family joined shortly after (You've got a great family RH). The waves were still up but not as much as last Wednesday. The June-Grass is still just as thick but it lays in pockets when not blown around by currents or divers.

526j7.jpg

526j8.jpg

The currents on the first dive were still coming in from the Gulf a little. We went out to the first anchor and up the South side of the finger jetty. The snot was thinner there than anywhere else. We turned and headed back to the North side and played there a little. We got in a snot-storm and I lost RH. I stayed in the 20' range for about 10 minutes and my tank hit 500 lbs so I thought I'd check if RH had hit the surface. The guy is practicing to be SuPrBuGmAn. I had my next tank strapped in and I was back rinsing the sand off when he surfaced. During the surface interval, while RH headed back to the car to get his second tank, I had someone ask if I was the "famous SeaYoda". It was a guy named Mike who paddled a kayak to the jetties and is from around here. He doesn't post much (you should post on this thread because you are being thrust into the limelight :D) so everyone give him some encouragement. I also inspected another sand yacht like my own that has been modified to hold two tanks upright above the wheels for balance. I'm going to give it a try. RH and I hit the water for dive number two. The current had died down and it was a very easy swim out to the anchor. This time we followed a snot trough out along where the old shell bed used to be. As we got out past where the second anchor used to be, I noticed the trough beginning to stir. The tide had changed and a slight current was coming from the bay. When we reached the anchor, I lost RH again for a minute. He showed up and signed that his camera had decided to visit the surface without him. We completed the dive and while hanging out at 15' for a safety stop, a filefish seemed to be very curious about me. I put my pointer finger out and wiggled it and the thing came over and bit me. It didn't hurt so I allowed him to play with my finger for a few minutes. Upon surfacing, RH went down the long jetty and I climbed the finger jetty trying to spot a floating camera - no luck. We did get to see a bunch of dolphin playing in the pass, making their way to the bay. We packed up and did the sand walk back to the vehicles. We loaded up and headed to lunch - thanks for the treat RH. We hit ScubaTech for fills and parted company. It was another fun, snotty day at the jetties. Here are the pics I could salvage from the two dives - still pretty slimy:

526j1.jpg

526j3.jpg

526j4.jpg

526j9.jpg

526j2.jpg

526j6.jpg

526j5.jpg

Here I am!! Great to meet you SeaYoda! Looks like you got some nice shots despite the bad vis.

That was the first time I'd ever tried to take my dive gear on my kayak. I put in at the Destin bridge and paddled to the East Jetty with a single HP119 tank. It took longer to get there than back as I had to fight the incoming tide and winds. Although the tide was stronger on the way back, the wind pushed me along nicely. I had a nice gentleman in a monster sized boat (~35ft) stop next to me and tell me I had no business on a kayak in the Destin Pass. I thanked him and kept going. I guess he and the one other boat that were under way between the bridge and the jetties are the only ones allowed :wink: At least he slowed down and didn't go by me at 50 knots! The kayaking was fun, but I think I'll only do it again when the winds are a bit lower.

I met with 3 others for the first dive - two of which were very new divers. We called the first dive after the first seven minutes as we didn't feel the new guys were ready to navigate through the 2-3 foot vis in the june grass.

After that, we decided to snorkel around the top rocks a bit and found the vis to be condiderably better on the SW side (as you mentioned to me, Yoda) so we ended up making a 40 minute dive over there. After a quick SI, we jumped back in to try to find some shells in the sand North of the jetties, but by 1100 the current was getting pretty strong.

Even with the really bad june grass, we had a great time!

Great report SeaYoda, glad you and Reefhound managed to get wet. Sounds like fun despite the junegrass.

Welcome to ScubaBoard CrazyMike!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom