Home remedy for cleaning mask.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comp.Air.Junkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pulled out some masks I don't use and was going to sell them. The silicone part of the mask that seals around the face up to the lens has turned dingy (shame on me, I know I should have cleaned it before I put it away). Does anyone have some good concoctions that might clean it to make it more appealing to sell without destroying the integrity of the mask?

Thanks.

Comp.Air.Junkie:
Pulled out some masks I don't use and was going to sell them. The silicone part of the mask that seals around the face up to the lens has turned dingy (shame on me, I know I should have cleaned it before I put it away). Does anyone have some good concoctions that might clean it to make it more appealing to sell without destroying the integrity of the mask?

Thanks.

Old scuba stuff should not be sold, it should be disposed.

Comp.Air.Junkie:

Thanks.
If you mean the silicone has yellowed, that's just what happens with age. Nothing can be done. (It also happens faster if stored with black rubber, neoprene, etc., but anyway you shake it, it's not something on the surface that can be "cleaned".)

You can buy a new silicone skirt for the mask and just pop out the old one and snap on the new one. Otherwise there is no fix.

nereas must be a manufacturer and wants to keep new product moving.

muddiver:

nereas must be a manufacturer and wants to keep new product moving.

You must not have read my bio. I have nothing to do with manufacturing.

I was burned by buying someone's used manifold once. It had a stress leak and was not worth repairing. Every since, I have been leery of buying used junk for scuba.

Used tanks are not a problem, as long as you visually inspect them and make the sale conditional upon a successful hydro. I would have the tank(s) re-hydro'ed right away to find out.

Used regs are not a problem either, because you can simply have these re-built at a good LDS.

Used backplates are not a problem, as long as you inspect them closely.

Used fins, some types, last forever.

Used weights last forever too.

Anything else is subject to wearing out and eventual breakage. Such gear only lasts about 2 to 3 years total, anyway. A mask would fall into that category. Thus, I see it as a throw-away item.

What kind of mask? I'm open to buying used masks cheap :)

See, I was burned once buying something new. Paid WAY too much for it. So now I'm leery of anything that looks new.

soak them in a mild bleach solution, it will clean up all teh surface stuff, but not if it has turned yellow from being stored next to neoprene.

Yellow .. not much you can do, but try this anyway
... If its just dull, coated, not clear anymore, it can be cleaned with dish soap and one of those sponge/scrubber things for dishes, use the scrubber side .. my clear skirt mask comes out so sparkeling clear, it looks never used

nereas:
...Anything else is subject to wearing out and eventual breakage. Such gear only lasts about 2 to 3 years total, anyway. A mask would fall into that category. Thus, I see it as a throw-away item.

I still use my original mask, fins, and snorkel bought in 1995 as a beginning diver. In fact, I think they fit and feel better than lots of new things I've tried.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom