GUE, Global Underwater Explorers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mojospos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm in the process of trying to find a new dive shop in Florida. The one that I've been looking at has a huge hype about GUE. I've already read about it on the web but I'm still left a little in the dark. Is it supposed to be like Padi or Naui? Has any one else heard about or know anything about it or even better yet; is anyone a member of it? Any and all information would be wonderful.
Thanks,

Debi :turtle:

Where are you located in FL, dive shops are as common as pizza joints. Find one that you like.

Go to www.gue.com -- There's a lot of information there about what GUE is and what it teaches.

I am a member. They are NOT the Borg, really.

The dive shop, if it's Extreme Exposures you're talking about, looks like a nicely organized dive shop, and they were very friendly to my husband when he stopped in there to have a look at the place (no plans to purchase anything) during his recent trip to Florida.

TSandM:
Go to www.gue.com -- There's a lot of information there about what GUE is and what it teaches.

I am a member. They are NOT the Borg, really.

The dive shop, if it's Extreme Exposures you're talking about, looks like a nicely organized dive shop, and they were very friendly to my husband when he stopped in there to have a look at the place (no plans to purchase anything) during his recent trip to Florida.

"(no plans to purchase anything)"... What did Peter buy? :wink:

Michael

A T-shirt showing a map of one of the cave systems, with a dot WAY out in one branch saying, "I'd rather be HERE." He gave it to me, of course!

He also broke down and bought a Halcyon SMB, after borrowing mine for all his practices because he liked it better than the one he had.

Certainly not enough in the way of purchases to make anybody be particularly nice to him!

They had talk and development of an OW program, but went back to the drawing boards a few times; it is currently not showing on their website.

GUE is primaraly a technical agency.... oriented to tech/wreck & cave diving. They offer a limited recreational curriculum which is geared to provide post traditional OW/AOW/Nitrox training paths, and was first designed for people looking to really nail down skills in preperation for going onto the technical curriculum, DIR-F, or commonly referred to as 'Fundies'. They now also offer a recreational 'Fundies' option and Recreation TriOx for people that want to venture near the recreational depth limits but also want less narcosis and breathing resistance provided by introducing some helium into the mix.

Alot of people go into GUE training for a lot of reasons. As TSandM elluded, If you do any serious searching you'll see alot of negativity towards GUE/DIR, please don't let the 1%'ers screw up your impression of DIR, and what its all about. It's first and foremost a philosophy about how to approach your diving, setting a serious mindset about goals, risk, and rewards and working as a team. Then evaluating everything in relation to those three items as far as gear configurations, dive planning and execution.

If you have furthur questions, feel free to post here or PM me. I completed (and passed) fundies, but decided to pursue tech and cave training through other instructors, both options exposed me to alot of what DIR is about and about 95% of my 'style' is DIR in nature and I have a few buddies that have been thru the tech and cave curriculums. Most of it makes sense to me.

-Tim

Kudos to Tim,
I could not agree more with his assesment of DIR and the GUE approach to diving. This type of diving is, of course, not appealing to everyone. That having been said the approach to diving that is taught in GUE courses is one that highlights the importance of being self-sufficent in diving. The equipment setups are pretty much standard the instruction is standard and all this is for a reason, SAFETY. Diving does come with inherent risks, but Jarrod and his crew have developed a systematic approach to how to manage those risks, espically in a more advanced or technical diving environment.

All that having been said, we are a new shop here in South Florida, we have all the DIR equipement as well as most any breathing gas you would require.

I encourage you to look into all avenues of training, the important thing is that you keep diving enjoyable and safe.

Will

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I have been to the GUE website and have read what I have been able to find there. I guess something that is plaguing me is, what is the difference between GUE and Padi? I understand that GUE is geared more towards the technical aspects of diving. I understand that it is more specialized in particular areas. What sets it or vice versa, Padi, above the other?

Right now, I'm only ow certified, and that's through Padi. I am looking to further my skills, with the intent of trying to make a career that involves a lot of diving. Are there any traits that put one agency above the other, or that make it better than the other? I just am trying to make sure that I make the best decisions for myself and my family, as they will be learning how to dive as well.

Thanks for all of your input.

Debi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom