splashdown divers stay away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sunday July 8, 2007 I was operating a private recreational boat from which scuba diving was being done off Boynton Beach. We had a very scary situation arise due to the manner in which captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown Divers operated her commercial dive boat. We were preparing to drop two divers along a reef line in 60 feet. Apparently this captain felt that it was inappropriate for us to dive within about 100 yards of another dive flag which was apparently being pulled by some of here customers.

When she observed that we were preparing to drop divers she came flying up in her Delta Dive boat and began screaming that no diver was going to enter the water along this reef with a speargun, since she had divers in the water in this area. We were drifting in neutral and she approached within 20 feet of our boat (While we had the diver down flag displayed).

We did not engage her in a discussion and essentially ignored her and put two divers in the water. The full extent of my conversation with her was “Have a Nice Day” (I was uncharacteristically subdued). This apparently further aggravated her and she then put the boat in gear a took off at a very past pace, driving over a bunch of reef that presumably had divers down on it and passed within 50 feet of other dive flags at a speed of probably 12 kts. As she drove off, we could hear the turbo(s) whining for quite a way.

I was a little upset about her arrogance and how close she drove her boat to ours, but what really upset me was the apparent total disregard for the safety of her own customers as she drove the boat over the reef and in close proximity to submerged divers. I worked as a divemaster on a similar dive boat in the local area for a number of years, I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a commercial charter boat capt, operate a vessel in such a reckless manner. In my opinion, she was clearly a threat to her own customers on Sunday morning July 8, 2007.

I did note that her divers were in small groups and each group was carrying a surface dive float and flag and that each float was attached to some light poly line, which was wound up on a line holder as the divers ascended. If everything works out perfectly, all divers will be ascending within just a few feet of the float, since they are winding line up as they ascend which means that they will normally ascend within 10 feet of the flag. Apparently, this Capt. Is willing to bet the lives of her customers on the assumption that no diver could have a problem, become separated from the individual carrying the float and be required to make an emergency ascent at a location somewhat distant from the flaot/flag.

This is not typical for the Splashdown. I've been in her boat for a number of years before I moved to the FL tundra. Her ways were nothing like what you are describing, something must've set her off to react like you say.

I hope this was an isolated case. Then again, spearfishing is becoming a target for many. Do people realize than most spearfishing is done with the spear tethered to the gun? Even when free shafting, the darn thing is not going to reach anywhere as far as a bullet in air

Well, if that's what happens when she gets set off, I'm sure I won't be diving with her. Professional's aren't allowed the luxury of being "set off" when it means putting others in danger. You either have the necessary presence of mind and self control or you don't.

I'm certainly not going to say this didn't happen the way you described, you were there, not me. However, I will say that I have many, many dives with Splashdown and this behavior is in no way typical of what I've observed. As noted, I've dived many times with them and they've always been first class. Lynn has always been courteous and conducted herself in a professional manner. As a matter of fact, I'm diving with them in a couple of weeks. :palmtree: Bob

Next time, call the Coast Guard and let them sort it out. If it happened the way you say, she needs to learn some manners....and maybe a fine from the CG.

I've been rubbed the wrong way by that operation in the past as well.
they're well liked on the boards but I know longer use them (had my SI rushed bigtime and been encouraged to use nitrox without a cert for example)

herman:
Next time, call the Coast Guard and let them sort it out. If it happened the way you say, she needs to learn some manners....and maybe a fine from the CG.

While it sounds like she was being as obnoxious as H-E-double hockey sticks, nothing she did is against the law. I used that operation for a group dive once about seven or eight years ago and found her to be quite rude as well. So I voted with my wallet and never went back :wink:

There's plenty of better or even great operations to choose from like:
http://diveboyntonbeach.com (an excellent operation for divng with five other good friends)
http://www.idivestarfish.com (an excellent operation for group dives up to 15)

deepstops:
While it sounds like she was being as obnoxious as H-E-double hockey sticks, nothing she did is against the law. I used that operation for a group dive once about seven or eight years ago and found her to be quite rude as well. So I voted with my wallet and never went back :wink:

There's plenty of better or even great operations to choose from like:
http://diveboyntonbeach.com (an excellent operation for divng with five other good friends)
http://www.idivestarfish.com (an excellent operation for group dives up to 15)
:classic:

I dove with splashdown several times that week, and can only say they were very professional. I hope that someone will get Lynn's take on this, as I would suspect that there must be some other perception of events.

The only reason that I ever dove with Splashdown, was to dive with Kevin Metz the divemaster. Luckily, he's now moved on to his own dive operation. I have no problem saying that Lynn is rude, short on answers when you have a problem, and it doesn't surprise me what you posted about her. If you'll stand in her store for a half hour and listen to her talk to certain people a certain way, and listen to her talk about others in the way that I've heard, this would not surprise you. Now you may be a friend of hers and get certain treatment, but she's only nice when you have money to spend in her store or on her boat. Everyone else in her operation is fine and has lots to do with the success of Splashdown, but Lynn is just downright mean in my opinion. She'll buzz your boat too creating a huge wake when she's pissed. Sorry, I lost respect for that lady long ago. I could go on and on and many others could too if they had the guts to be honest! Keep your ears and eyes open and you'll see what I mean.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom