Hello, Keys Divers! Some suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaytonaDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know... there are lots of resources out there on where to go and such... but I have some specific questions that I can't find by sorting through the gobs of data....

My wife and I will be in the keys for only two days. I am AOW and my wife would like to try diving while we are there.... the LDS won't have time to train her prior to our trip (it was a last minute trip).

We were looking online, and would like some suggestions on where we could stay and where she could train (and where I can dive) in the short time we are there. She's not looking for an OW class yet... just an intro course that would allow her to get wet and see the reefs to see if diving is for her. I was thinking of some place like this. Amy Slate's Amoray Dive Resort

I am open to all suggestions.... we are going to be there on the 30th for three nights and two full days.

Thanks SB'ers!

FYI, I booked with Amoray just in case I couldn't get in anywhere else due to the short notice....

It seems like a good place to do everything we need, but I'd love to hear opinions.

Thanks

Here's a bit of advice, DONT STAY THERE!!! Get ahold of Speargirl for a place to stay, she has acces to SEVERAL condos and townhouses for rent. She can also recommend Dive ops and such. I had TWO VERY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH AMORAY's and have now talked to several other folks who had the same type of experience. Just my two cents but I will NEVER use them again!!

The course you are looking for for your wife is called a "DSD" (Discover Diving) or Resort course. Most shops offer them here, in the Keys. If you would like some specifics on it, please feel free to PM me!

Pat

Thanks... I sent a PM to Speargirl.... thanks for the heads up.

fldiver1:
Here's a bit of advice, DONT STAY THERE!!! Get ahold of Speargirl for a place to stay, she has acces to SEVERAL condos and townhouses for rent. She can also recommend Dive ops and such. I had TWO VERY BAD EXPERIENCES WITH AMORAY's and have now talked to several other folks who had the same type of experience. Just my two cents but I will NEVER use them again!!
I'll second this, had a couple of friends stay there and they said it was awful...in every way possible, just awful.

It's just too bad you arent going to be there the next week. My WHOLE family and some friends are going to be spending the week of the 5th thru the 12th in Key largo and have rented a house and one of speargirl's townhoused and a couple of boats for opening week of bug season!!! This one should be fun. My kids first lobster season!!!

Wow! That sounds like a blast. I didn't know it was opening week for 'bugs'. That would be awesome to have private boats and everything. You guys have fun!

Speargirl already replied... she's going to check her books for me in the morning. I'll probably cancel at Amoray's if she has something good for me. Where would I get my wife's training and our dive trips? Any good suggestions there?

Supposedly if I stay with Amoray I'll be diving the Duane. Frankly, I don't care which wreck I dive as long as I get a good dive out of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom