Small Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
Hi all, I am the not-so-proud part owner of an 18' outboard run-about boat. It does not run or float at the moment (long story), but I might get motivated to fix it if I could use it for diving. Do y'all have links to any resources for gearing up a small boat for scuba day-trips?

-kate

--------
Boating... the only hobby that I can think of that is more expensive than SCUBA :wink:

I'm getting ready to sell a 14 foot inflateable myself. Some of the things that you should be carrying is a radio, emergency signalling equipment, adequate water supply, tools and the other stuff that just makes good common sence, like carabiner clips to secure your gear properly. I even carry a hand held sonar with me so that I know how deep the water is below me.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Kate, if you think boating and diving is expensive, try flying. My wife and I own our own airplane and it takes every spare dime. My kids friends used to tell them that they must be rich since their parents own an airplane. The reply: "No, we don't have any money at all since we own an airplane." However, my wife loves flying as mush as I like diving, so we share hobbies. You've got to have fun in your life, so what the heck, we do both.

DennisW, I feel your pain. My family owned a Cessna as well, and yes they do tend to be a money pit. My uncle built his own from scratch, and I'd have to say that his was even more expensive.

I can top all of that though. I suffer from what's called Hardware Obselescence Syndrome Meaning I have to have the newest and sweetest new toys! Talk about spending some major mula, on stuff you really don't need! My e-mail machine is a Pentium 3 with a GeForce 3 Video Card.... you should see my gaming machine(s)!

Thanks for your replies guys... I just don't know if I am ready to make the commitment to the big hole in the water where all of my cash will go. It's such a huge responsibility (not just financial).

-kate

Kate, first thing to remember is that everything will have to be organized. Make sure firstly, that all Coast Guard requirements are met. You'll need compass, anchor, lines, fire extinguisher, life jackets(oops, pfd's), lights, flares and horn. Make sure you have enough fuel/oil mix on board. Install a waterproof VHF radio/antenna. Install a windshield wiper. Install an automatic bilge pump. Install a chart reading depth machine or GPS/depth combo. Otherwise, carry a GPS. Buy some waterproof bags for clothing and personals.

A seaworthy boat is far more important than dive gimmicks. However, buy or make a STAINLESS STEEL ladder which can hook over the gunnels or transom. Cheap aluminum will break. Find a means to secure the tanks. Install a mast for the dive flag. Don't forget to put the plug in and you're done.

Quick question...Where do you plan on diving??
If you are looking at a lake or bay, it will be fine,
however, being an owner of a 2001 MAXUM 18'
I must qquestion any intention of going out to
the ocean. The weather can turn very quickly
and make an 18' quite unpleasant.

Swells alone make it quite difficult to navigate
at any distance out in the ocean. The furthest
out I have been able to go here off the coast of
NJ is about a mile with any degree of safety. With
most wreck out past the 10 mile range, and 18' is
just not safe enough for me.

Of course, this is all just my personal opinion.
When I purchased my boat, I had dreams of going
out to dive sites. After 2 trips out to the
ocean, I quickly realized that I wish I had a
28' instead of an 18'... :)

--MichaelG

I was like Mario S Caner once, needed to have all the latest and best stuff around. But luckily for me, I managed to stop before I bled my account dry.

We must have a support group for people like us.

Hi Kate! I would recommend your nearest Coast Guard Power Squadron. They offer an excellent boater safety class that covers everything form navigation to knots.Another excellent idea would be to contact sea-tow to find an operator in your area.The $95 a year membership is a small fraction of the cost of a tow bill. You'd be surprized how many "fellow boaters" will drive right by you. Also check out boatered.com. The moderator of "ask the captain" is the vice-president of sea-tow. The other forums are excellent also.

Brian

MichaelG: I would be using it for diving in the Puget Sound and the San Juan Islands. It's not open ocean, but things can get nasty.

Thanks for the tip about the Power Squadron b8waster, I was wondering where to get some basic training. I feel ok about operating in lakes & such, but salt water is different animal...

I have someone that is going to look at the boat this week to see if it is worth putting any $$ into. Even if I am super lucky and it runs I still need to get all of the safety gear.

Is there anything like DAN for boaters? What kind of insurance do you need?

-kate

Back
Top Bottom