Mapping Hudson River wrecks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plsander

Contributor
Reaction score
According to slashdot more than 200 shipwrecks have been mapped by sonar on the bottom of the Hudson River.

They point to an article in the New York Times that reports that the locations are being kept secret so that 'We don't want to ring the dinner bell for people who have ulterior motives and don't behave responsibly.'

Here is the link:

New York Time article (free registration required)

the article and found it very interesting. Too bad in some ways the coordinates won't be released. On the other hand, sounds like the "braille" diving wouldn't be worth the effort anway......Wish this could be done in Lake Ontario and St Lawrence Seaway..........And then again I suppose the trophy fools would be out there by the thousands...........:bonk: :boom:

SHHHHHH!

Don't give them ideas!! :wink:

I dont know how most divers feel about proper wreck surveys, but, they are a good thing. If they just publish the coordinates without doing a survey they dont know what is at risk. Most divers i know take a hands off approach to wreck diving. I live in Northeast Michigan, not far from the Thunder Bay Sanctuary. we have had problems with things missing but most of them have been returned shortly after they were discovered missing. After documenting, then publishing the coordinates, it will be easier for divers to police themselves. afterall, we are the ones on the wrecks to notice what is there and have a good idea of the time frame of when it was removed. you can narrow down almost who was diving the wreck(s) and go from there. Its hard to realize just who is watching who at most launch sites! but these are just my thoughts.

Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom