sacto (negro bar ) reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all-
i know a bunch of you were going to dive negro bar just before the server crashed. never did hear anything. did you make it out? how was it? vis? where did you dive?
i would like to try it, wasn't available for the day you were going. (july3rd?)
thanks!

Hi jon_m,

Yes, we made it out there on the 5th. Four of us met there and it was nice to meet some locals. The vis was a milky 15 ft when silt wasn't stirred up. The current was stonger than we perceived judging by the surface but wasn't too bad. We got in the shallow and backwalked upstream to the bridge.

As soon as we went under the water, I saw John's fin, silt and then nada. I basically solo dived the whole dive, but it was fun. The deepest reading I got was 15 ft and I think it was about 65 degrees. I was told there are some spots that can be as deep as 50 ft but not where we were.

Not alot to see, a bunch of crayfish and I saw one fish that was maybe 1 1/2 feet long but couldn't identify it(Salmon maybe?). I kept losing my bearing because of the current, overcompensating then undercompensating, but this was my first dive in a river current like that.

Again, it was nice to meet the other guys and would love to dive with them again under some better conditions.

Buck

Zen man,

As one of the group er, solo divers that day I agree with everything in your post. Natomas would not be on my list of places to go. If you're up for another quick-local dive pm me sometime. My daughter and I did a dive on the upper American River and had a blast, there are remenants of the old bridge to explore plus the low-value treasure hunting-2 pair sunglasses, 1 new folding camp-chair $.36, 1 full beer, 1 full soda, 1 Rapala fishing lure. The current was ripping but manageable, water temp was upper 70s.

I guess I was so eager to get wet, I had fun. :) I do agree, it was a little blah, and fighting that current back to the ramp was interesting. That AR spot sound like fun.

I guess I was so eager to get wet, I had fun. I do agree, it was a little blah, and fighting that current back to the ramp was interesting. That AR spot sound like fun.

A little blah, but any dive beats a day in the office. As for the AR, I went back again today just to try out a new XS pony bottle harness I picked up. For quickee diving it rocks! I threw a 40cf steel pony in it and am just a little negative diving trunks with no lead. I was able to wear my rig and hike from pool to pool exploring, this set-up definitley makes it easy to get in a quick after-work dive. As for the river itself, they were releasing a ton more water which changed the river somewhat.
If either you or Zen Man are up for it, lets get a dive planned and you guys can check it out (it's no Monterey, but it's close and wet).

If either you or Zen Man are up for it, lets get a dive planned and you guys can check it out (it's no Monterey, but it's close and wet).

Shoot, no disrespect to the OP. Jon M, I would be happy to dive with you or just about anyone else as well.

sounds wet!
i have to work till 5pm... what about a weekend? i've been looking at that river for a long time. any where to launch a boat? or is it shore only?

well, I'm available after 330PM every other weekend (this weekend) and the others I'm free all day usually. Lately, the sun has been out pretty late, so even after 5pm during the week might work out. I dunno about boat ramps, though.

sounds wet!
i have to work till 5pm... what about a weekend? i've been looking at that river for a long time. any where to launch a boat? or is it shore only?

jon m-there's no boat access. I have lumped all my gear down the canyon and you will feel it the next day. Yo are crossing boulders and scaling walls so it is a tough gig. If we have a few divers we can break it up into several trips and then it's not so bad. I am up for a saturday afternoon dive if you and Bolantej are. I am proposing to meet at 4:30 in Auburn (limited parking at the canyone bottom, so we would want to take only 1 vehicle). If this time works for oyu and Bolantej then I'll PM you both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom