What is a good dive shop in Monterey, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi! I'll be diving in Monterey, California this weekend. I would love to take a course on dry suit diving if possible. Does anyone know of a good dive shop there? And, how does a 7 mm suit feel in their chilly water? Is it ok? Thanks!

7mm will likely not be enough. Many use a 7mm with another 7mm (or close) jacket over that. Those who use drysuits swear by them for Monterey.

Many good shops. I'm a fan of Bamboo Reef.

One of the best around:

http://www.aquariusdivers.com/

Two piece 7mm wetsuits are the norm, like a Farmer Jane over a full jumpsuit. As far a drysuit diving, it's not done very much at all by local recreational divers - but you can get a class set up.

Uh, not sure why you say that. Lots of recreational Monterey drysuit divers.

daniel f aleman:
...As far a drysuit diving, it's not done very much at all by local recreational divers ...

Paco II:
Uh, not sure why you say that. Lots of recreational Monterey drysuit divers.

There are drysuit divers, yes, mainly pros and the well-heeled; but, they're a minority of all divers. The reason being, if you CAN dive wet, why dive dry? I talked to several local instructors and captains about this, and they stated that the expense of a drysuit over a wetsuit is the main reason given by divers.

When I was in Monterey last year in June, I dived both wet and dry, but on the two boat dives I went on, no one dived dry. Here's a drysuit class description for the OP:

http://www.mbdcscuba.com/education_curr_specialties_drysuitdiver.aspx

daniel f aleman:
As far a drysuit diving, it's not done very much at all by local recreational divers - but you can get a class set up.
This is flat not true in Monterey. There are alot of drysuit divers. But, there are alot of divers that dive wetsuits as well (including me:D). I dive a 7 mil hooded vest and a 7 mil jumpsuit and it works pretty good. My hands will get a little cold at times, but my body has always felt comfortable.

B.

I've been diving Monterey for a few years now, my favorite dive shop is Bamboo Reef.

In the bay, a wetsuit is fine for one dive, I started in a 7mm wetsuit and found that I became too cold for a second or third dive. Most people I know that dive often (30 or more dive in a year) in Monterey tend to buy drysuits. Outside the bay, it's common to see water temperatures in the upper 40s which is just a little too cold for most people in a wetsuit. Due to upwelling, water temperature outside the bay tend to be colder during the summer. I saw 47 deg at Point Lobos a few months ago.

In the bay, the water can get a bit warmer and low 50s are common. Many divers use a wetsuit there, especially newer divers (not yet invested in alot of gear) However, I think the best diving is outside the bay around Carmel.

I love my drysuit and doubt that I will ever dive cold (<55deg) without it.
Take care,
John

I have a drysuit, but I actually prefer diving wet, since it allows more movement, in my case anyways. My drysuit doesn't have flex panels and all that fancy stuff, and there is definitely more drag when I dive dry. A 7mm and 6mm vest is usually all I need and I can dive a couple times a day.

Hmmm,:huh:

I wonder if I could duct tape a couple of Hefty bags together and make my own drysuit! :rofl3:

This is crap. Maybe avoid generalizations based on "two boat dives" you did last year? I don't personally know *anybody* that dives Monterey regularly in a wetsuit. Sure, you'll see people around in wetsuits, but the regular crowd almost exclusively dives dry.

daniel f aleman:
There are drysuit divers, yes, mainly pros and the well-heeled; but, they're a minority of all divers. The reason being, if you CAN dive wet, why dive dry? I talked to several local instructors and captains about this, and they stated that the expense of a drysuit over a wetsuit is the main reason given by divers.

When I was in Monterey last year in June, I dived both wet and dry, but on the two boat dives I went on, no one dived dry. Here's a drysuit class description for the OP:

http://www.mbdcscuba.com/education_curr_specialties_drysuitdiver.aspx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom