Diving the Keys on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just found this site and this is my first post so if I am in the wrong location please excuse me.

Anyway, my son and I are newbie divers but we are already addicted. For his 18th birthday next month I am wanting to take him on a decent dive trip. Living in Arizona, the west coast or sea of cortez (mexico) are popular destinations. However, after some checking on some of the charter trip prices I am thinking if I can keep the cost of lodging and meals reasonable that we can do the Key Largo/Islemaroda for about the same money.

Since we have already dove the caribbean and bought our equipment this summer I am limited on funds. I am looking for input on the best hotel/motel options and places to eat that are reasonable so I can make this trip a reality. We are not into the party scene and don’t need resort amenities. Just need a place that is cheap, clean and safe. Are there places like this on the islands or should we stay in Homestead/Fl city and drive in each day? I have checked out most of the dive operators websites but would also appreciate any input as to operations to use or stay away from. Also, what kind of thermal protection would you recommended in late August (if any).

I am also under the assumption that the Keys has the best diving to offer in south Florida, however, if any of you have any other suggestions for locations to consider in the vacinity of Ft. Lauderdale/Miami I would certainly appreciate all input.

Thanks in advance.

‘bob

Ft. Lauderdale is great for diving as well, tons of wrecks in the OW range. I would reccomend a 3/2 mm in Key Largo, as long as you don't get cold easily (Ft. Lauderdale as well).

I reccomend "It's a Dive" in Key Largo, and American Dream in Ft. Lauderdale.

The cheapest way is to camp but that might not be an option for you. I would do a google search for lodging in the area and I would stay in the keys if you are going to dive there. Staying on the mainland would only result in an hour plus drive each way and the time and money spent driving could be better used. There are places to dive right from the beach in the keys also. I don't think that you need a wet suit as long as you don't get cold easy (but bring one just incase). I do get cold easy and don't use one this time of year there. Good luck and enjoy.

With water temps in the mid to high eighties, thermal protection is optional in August. For budget accommodations, the mainland is hard to beat. Tho' I don't know the rates, there's a fairly new Holiday Inn Express at the top of the stretch that looks nice. The drive to/from Key Largo takes about half an hour each way, and like diving, requires a high degree of situational awareness. Good cheap grub is easy to come by. Try Alabama Jacks in downtown Card Sound (just north of the toll bridge on Card Sound Road, between Key Largo and Florida City). Enjoy!

Rudebob--

Come on down to the Keys--the water is great! Right now the water temps are 85-88 degrees, so no wetsuit is needed, just something for skin protection (rash guard, skin) if you want it.

Hungry Pelican has some rooms as cheap as $60 a night. and there are loads of restauratnts around that are affordable that the locals can recommend. I second what Brent said, Alabama Jack's is AWESOME!

Look for a dive shop that has a package deal (x number of dives for $x), check out their websites and find one that not only fits your pocketbook but your personality!

Pat

Consider Islamorada and Tavernier..just a short jaunt from Key Largo. I got a good deal at the Hampton Inn in Islamorada two weeks ago.

I REALLY like the dive operation KEY DIVES in Islamorada. They run a top notch charter boat; no smoking, padded seats, super clean, boat limited to 16 divers (capacity of 24), all dives are guided (the guides locate and point out interesting marine life, carrying a slate to write down what it is). They even set up your gear and rinse and store it after the dives. In particular, I like their "deep reef" dives which range from 45-60ft. deep of Islamorada.

For diving, a number of shops sell 3-packs of charters at a slight discount.

THere are lots of individually owned motels in the upper keys...they are sometimes hard to find on the web. Look around on the board here for older postings about hotels/motels.

I would not recommend staying in Florida City...staying in the Keys will be much more fun even in a budget hotel.

MsParamedic:
Rudebob--

Come on down to the Keys--the water is great! Right now the water temps are 85-88 degrees, so no wetsuit is needed, just something for skin protection (rash guard, skin) if you want it.

Hungry Pelican has some rooms as cheap as $60 a night. and there are loads of restauratnts around that are affordable that the locals can recommend. I second what Brent said, Alabama Jack's is AWESOME!

Look for a dive shop that has a package deal (x number of dives for $x), check out their websites and find one that not only fits your pocketbook but your personality!

Pat

Hungry Pelican + Silent World 10 Dive Package = one heck of a deal

I'm a repeat customer several times over of both places and tend to have a limited budget. Hungry Pelican has some units with kitchens, so you can even keep food costs down a bit by stocking up cereal, bagels or pasta.

I second Silent World and their deals with local hotels. My husbsand and I stayed at the Suites at Key Largo 2 weeks ago and got a rate 60 bucks cheaper then Expedia was quoting. This place is like an apartment with 2 bathrooms and full kitchen. That saved us a lot on food and there was a place to rinse and hold all our gear when we were not diving. I would go back for sure.

Another vote for Silent World!
Stayed at Coconut Bay Resort, very quaint with clean rooms, with great rates.
Your son is a very lucky young man. Wished I had started diving at his age. Have a great time!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom