Leaky Bare drysuit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Bare Trilam ATR drysuit kept me pretty dry for the last two years, but the last few dives have ended up wet (me, that is). Based on what was soaked, it seems like it could only be the chest valve or the neck seal. LDS says the valve looks OK and tightened it. The neck seal is latex. Anyone have any experiences with this kind of problem and how to fix it ?

There is usually an O-ring in the chest valve thats was easy to replace for me when my old suit leaked. Did they check that O-ring?
Just use care in removing that valve if you do it yourself and dont force anything.

I'll take a look....I know they didn't open up the valve to check anything inside. I didn't know there was an O-ring in there. It's not mentioned in the instructions as something to replace.

Stargazer:
I'll take a look....I know they didn't open up the valve to check anything inside. I didn't know there was an O-ring in there. It's not mentioned in the instructions as something to replace.

How did they know that everything was ok with the valve if they didn't open it up? I really hope that I am missing something.

I think the LDS guy looked at it from the outside, tightened it a bit, and pronounced it in good health. He probably figured it was less likely to be the cause of a failure than operator stupidity or something else. So that's why I am asking here now.

When I first dove my new suit, the valves were loose letting water in so it is a possibility the valves were not tighetened down. Looks like your just gonna have to try it then and see by experience. If it leaks again, replace the o-ring as its an easy to do and inexpensive to eliminate it as a cause. A build up of salt crystals and sand can scour the o-ring.

You are only guessing until you test the suit. First, close off all the openings. You can clamp them closed or put cylindrical objects, such as bottles in the neck and wrist seals to close them off. Then, inflate the suit and immerse it in water or sponge it down with soapy water and look for bubbles. Mark the locations with a grease pencil. Once you know where the leak is, you can decide how to fix it.

Thanks Capt., will try that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom