Dive Reports - Point Lobos 7/15/07 and Monastery 7/14/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwaingold

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dove in Pt. Lobos with friends today 7/18. Probably one of the best shore dive ever did. Visibility was about 50 to 60, probably more.

Thanks for posting the photos of the nudi's. What is the white one called with the dark spots? Looks almost like a San Diego Dorid, but white? I will be up there from So Cal on August 4th and 5th. I hope to dive Monestary in addition to Point Lobos.

The ID on the spotted white ones are the subject of some debate on the sea slug forum. The two prevailing opinions seem to be a white variation of Archidoris montereyensis, or a white variation of Geitodoris heathi. FWIW, Jeff Goddard took a look at these pictures and said:

> without question G. heathi, based on the
>pigmentation, but even more so on the size, shape and distribution
>of the
>dorsal papillae. If you touch with a bare finger the dorsum of
>those G. heathi,
>they will also feel much more scabrous, or rough, compared to D.
>montereyensis.

Chuck Tribolet:
San Diego Dorids are usually white, and have small dark rings, not spots. The nuds in
the picture have spots.

There is actaully a lot of color variation in San Diego Dorids. See, for instance:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=2834

I have personally noticed that the ones in SoCal tend to be darker than the ones up here, which are almost always very white. But what do I know? :p Maybe that is why a SoCal diver is referring to San Diego Dorids as not usually being white :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom